The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Carol,

I believe Mark was saying that you do have to be able to accept defeat and get your satisfaction in small doses. The OP has an issue with Pro's in the Qual, this is just the way it is. I have been blessed to have my first two dogs be some what competitive. Competition is tough. Not everyone gets a ribbon or even to play until the end. Once you win though you realize how watered down that feeling would be if things were made less competitive. Also there is the Owner/handler Qual. Im not a big fan of them but hay they are part of the sport. So Like Mark said either go to the Truck and cry or Cowboy up. Things are tough at the top level of dog games. The rewards are even greater. At least to me. off my soap box now.
    'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' - Bear Bryant / Alabama

(Mike beat me to it, thanks TD#2! Too bad you don't have your own products line!)

Take my post out of context if you choose Carol.
    The thread is about competing agains pros in field trials. It has nothing to do with participation on the forum, or in hunt tests, or agility, or dock dogs, or visits to the bark park.
    I haven't met a pro yet that's going to withdraw their client's dog from the 4th series to give some amateur a better chance. I wouldn't want to win that trial if they did. (Ok, well maybe I would accept the blue, but it would have an asterisk).
    As one person on here will say... put on your big girl (or boy) panties if you choose to participate in a competitive sport.
    If you're only in it for the social aspect, that's your perogative I suppose, but that's not why I compete. (Although I've made some great friends in my pursuit).
    There are multiple avenues for spending time with your dog, but that's not this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    (Mike beat me to it, thanks TD#2! Too bad you don't have your own products line!)

Take my post out of context if you choose Carol.
    The thread is about competing agains pros in field trials. It has nothing to do with participation on the forum, or in hunt tests, or agility, or dock dogs, or visits to the bark park.
    I haven't met a pro yet that's going to withdraw their client's dog from the 4th series to give some amateur a better chance. I wouldn't want to win that trial if they did. (Ok, well maybe I would accept the blue, but it would have an asterisk).
    As one person on here will say... put on your big girl (or boy) panties if you choose to participate in a competitive sport.
    If you're only in it for the social aspect, that's your perogative I suppose, but that's not why I compete. (Although I've made some great friends in my pursuit).
    There are multiple avenues for spending time with your dog, but that's not this subject.
    Mark & Mike,

The thread is not that I have issues with Pro's running the Q or competing against Pro's. I am trying to state that I would like to see new people run there own dogs, especially in the minors, rather than have a pro run the dog. Is there a better place than the minor stakes to run as a newbie than the minors? People talk about getting new blood in the FT game all the time, GREAT. But run your dogs when you have the chance. Don't be a spectator, be a participant, is what I'm trying to say.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Mark & Mike,

But run your dogs when you have the chance. Don't be a spectator, be a participant, is what I'm trying to say.
    Amen, Cowboy UP!!

Kathryn
    Never say never . . . never say always . . . know when to say when.

You're absolutely right Wade. I veered a little.
    If you're not going to compete in the minor stakes, its more doubtful you'll ever run the AAs.
    (Although I'm just as nervous going to the line in the minor stakes as in the majors).
    I'll also never understand what possible satisfaction folks get out of someone else titling their dog in HTs, but that's their business too.
    I have an analogy that's not appropriate here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    You're absolutely right Wade. I veered a little.
    If you're not going to compete in the minor stakes, its more doubtful you'll ever run the AAs.
    (Although I'm just as nervous going to the line in the minor stakes as in the majors).
    I'll also never understand what possible satisfaction folks get out of someone else titling their dog in HTs, but that's their business too.
    I have an analogy that's not appropriate here.
    I'll be looking for the PM. LOL
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoley View Post
    Carol,

I believe Mark was saying that you do have to be able to accept defeat and get your satisfaction in small doses. .... Competition is tough. Not everyone gets a ribbon or even to play until the end. Once you win though you realize how watered down that feeling would be if things were made less competitive. ... Things are tough at the top level of dog games. The rewards are even greater.

Competition is tough. But, as Mike said, it can be very rewarding.

I don't think people who are not part of the FT circle realize how we competitors can try to beat one another's brains out in a derby, qual, amateur, or open - be disappointed that our dog has not won or placed - yet still genuinely applaud someone who has won or placed.

And then, start the process all over again, the next weekend.

Your toughest competitors are often your best friends.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Mark & Mike,

The thread is not that I have issues with Pro's running the Q or competing against Pro's. I am trying to state that I would like to see new people run there own dogs, especially in the minors, rather than have a pro run the dog. Is there a better place than the minor stakes to run as a newbie than the minors? People talk about getting new blood in the FT game all the time, GREAT. But run your dogs when you have the chance. Don't be a spectator, be a participant, is what I'm trying to say.
    Glad you pointed that out. I was thinking otherwise after reading the second sentence in the OP.

I like the fact that not everyone has the same agenda in the FT game. It seems to me that you could draw all types that way and gain as much participation as possible. Like Ted stated we need more people to get involved but I feel some never will. Lets not send them packing just because they choose to watch their dog rather than handle it. I am all for encouraging them to play but some just want to own and watch and will allways be happier that way.

Not everyone dislikes running against the pros. I train gun dogs and HT dogs but love running minor stakes in FT. I spent the summer taking my personal dog to trials here and in Wi. just so I could run the Derby and Qual against 2 of the best young dog trucks in the country. I bet there are others like me who do the same. I saw on EE that Right Start took 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in a Derby so off I went a few weeks later with my one dog to see what we could do.

I Agree with most everything Ted has said and strongly agree that we need more participation in running and judging these events. I wish I had a great way to make that happen but I dont.

Bottom line is some people love to compete and some like to watch, it's just in their nature. Some will work very hard at doing well and some will do things half A-- . Some simply dont have the time to invest and will hire a pro just because they still want to play in some way. Some just dont have the time or money to compete but will do their best anyway. I dont see anything wrong with any of it as long as it's fun for both dog and human.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Yeah Jeff, it is me. How is Beanie doin? I am thinking of taking the BIG step to AA next season....kinda scarey cause it will be new to me, but I got some good experience running the Q's. You are right, I have a good dog and I am trying to learn to me a good handler, I spent all those quals more for me getting experience and getting over the jitters, than for Abby. I think had I put her on a Pro's truck, she would have advanced much faster, but I am enjoying learning this whole game. Right now Abby is being a gun dog, which is what I originally bought her for. She retrieved 10 ducks yesterday on a hunt we went on. Boy these trial dogs make on hell of a gun dog!

And just when you thought it was contradictory enough, I had a choice to go to the SEC Championship game or go work with my trainer and my dog today, and I picked my dog. Mostly because the behavior he is describing sounds so foreign to me (that is, good) that I want to make sure he still actually has my dog.

Who wants to stand in line for an $8 Miller Lite that is warm anyway???

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    OK there's another reason for not handling your own dog, I get that. There are many times I miss all the fishing, hiking, flying, sailing, you-name-it I used to do before becoming obsessed with dog training and trialing. It is a huge sacrifice. If you just want a well trained dog that gets quality work year around and don't want to sacrifice other things including work, football or family, hiring a pro is pefectly legit, not that you need anybody's approval.

For those of us who are obsessed, we are obviously not thinking this through in economical terms, I'd put a bullit in my head if I did that.
    John