The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5544
    http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ver-Club/page2

Look at the entries and the results of the Snowbird trial, this is what the Q is all about. The Pros and A list Ams finish with the best dogs there that day.............That is how it was meant to be.

If some other dog was better that day they would have placed; no matter who was handling.

THAT is and should be what this game is all about!

Its about the dogs regards,

john
    I don't have an issue with Pro's in the game. However, if we don't have people running their own dogs in those minor stakes how will our judging pool get any deeper or better? If Pro's are running most of those dogs in the minors how will those newer people become A list amateur handlers?

One can not gain the neccesary knowledge by sitting on/in the sidelines/gallery.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I don't have an issue with Pro's in the game. However, if we don't have people running & training their own dogs how will our judging pool get any deeper or better? If Pro's are running most of those dogs in the minors how will those newer people become A list amateur handlers?

One can not gain the neccesary knowledge by sitting on/in the sidelines/gallery.
    A little change - the answer is it will not, but we will be able to show our computer skills here on RTF & discuss phantom judging & testing scenarios. & we will be able to spend a couple of weekends watching a couple of other folks, take an open book test & receive the blessing of the powers that be as an accredited member of the judging pool .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

As has been stated before, if you're having fun with your dog, in any capacity who's to say what is right or wrong, good or bad. Yes we need more folks in the sport but unless you commit time and resources it can be daunting. I don't care about pro's running against me and I'll tell you why. Nothing is more satisfying then beating a pro at their own game. They bring out the best in me and I relish the competition. Doesn't mean I'll win, place or even finish but to be the best you've got to beat the best and with our training group we've got some pretty heavy hitters. Seeing that confidence and approach to the game gives others in our group a good perspective on how to train/compete within this venue. Yeah more disappointments than rewards but man when you place against a tough field, you just can't beat that feeling. My goals, title my dog (AFC), qualify for a national (30 days late this year, damn). I, like Ted, told Cherylon that I wanted to qualify for a national and I didn't have a clue what that actually required when I said it. I do now and that is where I'd like to be someday. I love this sport, really enjoy my training group and frankly it's like a drug I can't get enough of.

Hopelessly hooked regards.

John M.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

Running a dog in minor stakes will not deepen the judging pool, unless of course you are just looking for minor stake judges. The requirements for judging an AA stake are not just take a test any more. Yes we can hope those who handle in the minor stakes get the bug and will continue on to the AA level, but let's be realistic the rate of new people coming up through the ranks is about 2-3 per year if the sport is lucky and then they go on to the AA level, get their rears handed to them one too many times and quit. This game is not for the faint of heart...

Someone told me once the average life expectancy of a FTer wannabe is about 5 years....if a person can make it past 5 they are generally hooked, anything less and they may or may not survive, more than likely they pack up their toys and go home.
    Last edited by FOM; 12-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I agree with John M. as long as folks and dogs are enjoying themselves what is the problem. Those that have no intrest in running their own dog most likley wont become a judge either.

I dont train with a group of heavy hitters and dont even get to train Ft stuff all that often with my own dogs. I do however enjoy going to a trial where the top young dog trucks are entered to see if I can beat them. If I come with one dog and run against their 10 or more and do well I can then speak to the talent and training of my dog. That gives me reason to travel to the few field trials I get to run each year. I have nothing against these ft pros, I have great respect for them which is why it means so much to me to do well while running against them.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

I think it is fine to encourage people to run their dog. On the other hand, it is a competition, and some people don't like to compete. I know several people who have/had the goal of owning a titled dog. Some had no desire to run the dogs, and some said they wanted to wait til the dog was successful, or even titled before they ran the dog. If thats what they want, thats ok with me.

If someone really wants to participate in field trials, they will. If that means running in the minors, all the way through AA, Good. If that means running AA stakes once the dog gets there, again, Good. If they don't want to participate, and just pay a pro, well, thats fine too. You can't make people want to compete.
    -=#David

Well, this started off as a really interesting thread. Too bad we couldn't keep it that way. (Rick_C 2009, Classic RTF)
    __________________________________________________ _
    Take what you get and thank them (the Judges) afterwards no matter what the outcome. (Moira Sheehan)

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Running a dog in minor stakes will not deepen the judging pool, unless of course you are just looking for minor stake judges. The requirements for judging an AA stake are not just take a test any more. Yes we can hope those who handle in the minor stakes get the bug and will continue on to the AA level, but let's be realistic the rate of new people coming up through the ranks is about 2-3 per year if the sport is lucky and then they go on to the AA level, get their rears handed to them one too many times and quit. This game is not for the faint of heart...

Someone told me once the average life expectancy of a FTer wannabe is about 5 years....if a person can make it past 5 they are generally hooked, anything less and they may or may not survive, more than likely they pack up their toys and go home.
    ..Ok then..

It's not so much about "competing" as it is starting at a level that will bring and keep new people in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

The logic here seems off, unless your point is that the judging pool for the higher levels will never deepen and the current judging pool will remain static until they die or retire.

If only amateurs can be judges, the way to deepen the pool is for new amateurs get into the sport. And hopefully for that amateur to have experience training their own dog and to run their own dog in the minor and major stakes. How else can you have the necessary experience to be a knowledgeable judge who keeps the sport solid, for lack of a better word.

If all the amateur did was watch the pro train his or her dog, then watch the pro run the dog up through AA with only an occasional time at bat, how is that amateur going to be a good judge?

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

"You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot