The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Lainee.... Do you remember last weekend and ROBO arm....??????
    And your point? I'm gonna throw my husband under the bus for a few - he can't seem to put his hand in and leave it, he can't decide whether to push or pull or both why Tango is sitting there thinking "WTH?" And he has handled his dog in the Derby and Bullet in AA stakes (got his first AA ribbon this past year, too).

Sorry but you aren't they only one that has issues handling - just the other day I was asked by someone "You need training to handle dogs?" Yeah I do and so do you....it's okay because we are learning, we make mistakes, we repeat mistakes over and over again - I seem to recall getting my rear end chewed for not lining up a dog correctly, of not pulling enough, etc. more than once, heck more than a hundred times!!! You know what is the best way to have a handling mistake identified and to remember not to make it again? When the judges groan very loudly about the same time you are smacking yourself on the forehead for yelling back on the point when you should of given a silent over (don't ask, stupid handler)....

Come on now, aim for the stars...we all walked to the line for the first time and wanted to puke our guts out....you learn after a while to throw up before getting to the line!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    [/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

My first step, is getting a well trained dog.. I have my hands FULL!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to look forward to next weeks game... I have to concentrate very hard, on what Homework I have been given for the week..

When I get that well trained dog,, we will see what happens..

Lainee.... Do you remember last weekend and ROBO arm....??????

I was told to work on steady,, and the hand,,, and running my first blinds... EVERYDAY... Thats alll I am thinkin about..

I cannot believe I have so much trouble learning a routine, and dropping my hand in front of the dog... But as of today,, I think I have it..

I will beat Ted someday!!,,, Lainee Too,, Maontenrarieee too or how ever Ya spell it,,, Even that other guy with the clean truck..

Gooser
    The one HUGE advantage you have over a lot of other amateurs around the country is that you a part of a very-very good training group. Just between Lainee and Ted you are ahead of the game, then add Cherylon to the picture and you are training at a University level. It sound like you are dedicated but nervous. The nerves may never go away completely, but they will lessen as good handling habits take root, and you find yourself doing all the subtle things on line without thinking about it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    The one HUGE advantage you have over a lot of other amateurs around the country is that you a part of a very-very good training group. Just between Lainee and Ted you are ahead of the game, then add Cherylon to the picture and you are training at a University level. It sound like you are dedicated but nervous. The nerves may never go away completely, but they will lessen as good handling habits take root, and you find yourself doing all the subtle things on line without thinking about it.

John

I agree. We have an excellent training group and a varied amount of experience. Everyone there cheers our group when things go right, a little bit of ribbing when they don't. Honestly, I've learned so much just being with this group that I want to go back everyday. Nobody minds doing their part and I would say that everyone in that group has a little piece of any success of all the dogs because we all contribute in some fashion. Our pack leader, Cherylon, keeps us on the straight and narrow, challenges us about multiple facets of the game and tries to make us better every session. Good people, good dogs and good times. Thats the point for me and I can't think of a better way to spend my time than doing what I am passionate about.
    An armed man is a citizen
    An unarmed man is a subject

What would be nice to see is more amateurs running their dogs in the Minor stakes. Someone said earlier, I think it was Ted or Mike, you can run the Q till your heart is content or 2 wins which ever comes first but run the dog yourself. A lot of people out here would rather see Amateurs running their own dogs rather than a Pro.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    What would be nice to see is more amateurs running their dogs in the Minor stakes. Someone said earlier, I think it was Ted or Mike, you can run the Q till your heart is content or 2 wins which ever comes first but run the dog yourself. A lot of people out here would rather see Amateurs running their own dogs rather than a Pro.
    I could care less what others do with their dogs, personally I prefer to run my own dog minor and major stakes, but that's just me. As far as competition I don't see much difference between Larry Calvert, Linda Harger, Judy Rasmussen or any of another bunch of good amateurs their great dogs and most of the pros I run against, they are all very, very good and are very hard to beat.
    Last edited by John Robinson; 11-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I could care less what others do with their dogs, personally I prefer to run my own dog minor and major stakes, but that's just me.
    Isn't that the point though John. People keep talking about bringing new people into the sport. If you bring those people in and all they do is have a Pro run their dog, WHAT'S THE POINT?

I would prefer to see more Amateurs because I think the more Ams you have involved in the sport - who are excited about the sport, the better
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Isn't that the point though John. People keep talking about bringing new people into the sport. If you bring those people in and all they do is have a Pro run their dog, WHAT'S THE POINT?
    If you are talking about introducing new people and hooking them, I agree its nice when a new to the sport handler runs his or her own dog and has success. The minor stakes are very fun, a little easier from a handling aspect, but still quite challenging. I remember placing first and third in the same qual one time, that was definitely a big rush.

John

As a Devil's advocate for a moment . . . .

I think we would all agree that the first requirement is a dog who can be a competitive FT dog. I think we would also agree that the best way to go about this is to acquire such a dog at a cost of somewhere around $2000. Then, for most of us, the dog would go to a pro to determine if it in fact was a competitive FT dog. At least 6 months at somewhere between $700 - $1000 a month, or another $4200 - $6000. This does not count food, vet bills, etc.

Now, with all that money and expertise having gone into the dog and its training, why would I handle it?

Put another way, could I take Jimmie Johnson's race car and get the same or better results than Jimmie? With the same exact car? Racing against other NASCAR drivers?

It's possible that I could outrace those guys, but not very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    As a Devil's advocate for a moment . . . .

I think we would all agree that the first requirement is a dog who can be a competitive FT dog. I think we would also agree that the best way to go about this is to acquire such a dog at a cost of somewhere around $2000. Then, for most of us, the dog would go to a pro to determine if it in fact was a competitive FT dog. At least 6 months at somewhere between $700 - $1000 a month, or another $4200 - $6000. This does not count food, vet bills, etc.

Now, with all that money and expertise having gone into the dog and its training, why would I handle it?

Put another way, could I take Jimmie Johnson's race car and get the same or better results than Jimmie? With the same exact car? Racing against other NASCAR drivers?

It's possible that I could outrace those guys, but not very likely.
    Don't get into the sport then is what I would say. Again, What's the point if you are not going to run your own dog. Where is the pleasure in having someone compete with your dog?

I'm not saying don't use a pro, there is nothing wrong with having them take the dog and train it for a few months. However, to sit on the side lines while the game is being played isn't fun at all. How does one get enjoyment from that?