The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by kjrice View Post
    Who cares? Everyone has a choice to run or not run their dog as they see fit. I know what I prefer but don't lose sleep over another's choice.

There is plenty of room for everybody to play.

The trick going forward, is having enough players......... So everybody can play.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

I donno about your area of the country, but TX/MN has plenty of players. Big entries, regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    I donno about your area of the country, but TX/MN has plenty of players. Big entries, regards.
    That's a good thing.

I think the OP and others were talking about bringing new/younger folks to the FT game.

How many of those TX/MN players are under 50????
    Last edited by Rnd; 11-29-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Let me also say that I do not have an FT dog, likely will not have one, and probably don't want one precisely because of the reasons cited above. I don't think I would ever have time to get good enough as a handler to do a talented dog real justice, mainly because I have other things I like to do too (Alabama football games, anyone?), and I am not sure I could just be a dog owner with the dog spending nearly all his time with a pro.

Nothing worth accomplishing is easy or comes without sacrifice.

It is difficult to win, place, or finish - IF

1. The dog is not sufficiently talent
    2. The dog is not sufficiently trained
    3. The handler is not sufficiently trained and competent
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    That's a good thing.

I think the OP and others were talking about bringing new/younger folks to the FT game.

not as many as there were last year, most of them have had a birthday

most of us weren't brought to field trials we came voluntarily and no one checked our date of birth..

For whatever it's worth I started in field trials at 28
    Last edited by EdA; 11-29-2012 at 05:10 PM.

That's a good thing.

I'm 31. There are a few early 30s. Some late 20s.

That's a good thing.

The OP's main post was about owners not handling.

As far as new blood, those that have the resources and want to play will find a way.
    The problems of today cannot be solved the with same of thinking that created them.

wade,
    there are lots of ways to skin a cat. for some folks it seems to be "all about the dog". these folk want their dog to reach its highest potenetial and they do what is necessary to ensure the dog has the best of everything in professional training, handling and events schedules. they sometimes go and watch sitting in a nice folding chair. they attain great satisfaction that the breeding they performed or purchased a pup from turned out a nice dog. they remember the puppy work and basics they performed while interviewing pros to determine which would seem to suit their dog best. all their avilable resouces go into the development of the dog.

for others it seems "it's more about me". i trained this dog. i am part of a great training group. i handled this dog. i spent the time necessary to campaign this dog. i beat this pro or that pro with my dog. they get great rewards when all their available resources go into development of the dog.

i am new to field trialing but not new to dogs. i train and handle my own pups sometimes. sometimes i sit in a nice folding chair. sometimes i look on rtf results to see what happened.

but if i imagine my best ft day ever, i would be sitting in my chair on a cool autumn day in the gallery. and someone interupts my talking dogs with a guy like say??? mac dubose or dr.ed and says, "hey your dog just won the open!"

as long as i got a good chair, whats wrong with that?
    john mccallie

Just talking my situation:

Dog is just turned 1yr old. Just out of the yard.
    I am very happy with her progress,and I believe because of the Pro, my foundation work is more solid than any dog I have had previously.

Sho just ran her first set of land blinds lat week.
    She hasn't had any water blind work.
    very little in the way of big water marks.

For me to sit back and say my Goal is to run major stakes in FT, seems silly to me.

To much can happen in the future. Dog could get hurt.
    Her water work may be less than stellar.
    There may be all kinds of stuff down the road.
    I,m just focusing on today,and trying to get better.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    wade,
    there are lots of ways to skin a cat. for some folks it seems to be "all about the dog". these folk want their dog to reach its highest potenetial and they do what is necessary to ensure the dog has the best of everything in professional training, handling and events schedules. they sometimes go and watch sitting in a nice folding chair. they attain great satisfaction that the breeding they performed or purchased a pup from turned out a nice dog. they remember the puppy work and basics they performed while interviewing pros to determine which would seem to suit their dog best. all their avilable resouces go into the development of the dog.

for others it seems "it's more about me". i trained this dog. i am part of a great training group. i handled this dog. i spent the time necessary to campaign this dog. i beat this pro or that pro with my dog. they get great rewards when all their available resources go into development of the dog.

i am new to field trialing but not new to dogs. i train and handle my own pups sometimes. sometimes i sit in a nice folding chair. sometimes i look on rtf results to see what happened.

but if i imagine my best ft day ever, i would be sitting in my chair on a cool autumn day in the gallery. and someone interupts my talking dogs with a guy like say??? mac dubose or dr.ed and says, "hey your dog just won the open!"

as long as i got a good chair, whats wrong with that?
    Don't kid yourself. Dogs don't know if they are champions or not. It's always about what the owner wants. Hopefully the dogs are suited to what they are doing and hopefully they have a fair trainer - and therefore end up having fun living the owner's dream
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)