The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Point, Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Just talking my situation:

Dog is just turned 1yr old. Just out of the yard.
    I am very happy with her progress,and I believe because of the Pro, my foundation work is more solid than any dog I have had previously.

Sho just ran her first set of land blinds lat week.
    She hasn't had any water blind work.
    very little in the way of big water marks.

For me to sit back and say my Goal is to run major stakes in FT, seems silly to me.

To much can happen in the future. Dog could get hurt.
    Her water work may be less than stellar.
    There may be all kinds of stuff down the road.
    I,m just focusing on today,and trying to get better.
    I think your goal should be to run and win a Qual! That's just me...I'll be running riot soon enough (assuming he makes it)...so bring it on chicken wing!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I think a realist goal for me (if I have to have one)
    is to have a SOLID Master hunter,, and be able to seriously run aQual
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

That sound good to.

How about running a couple derbies? They are a lot of fun and there is not much pressure on the handler as all you have to do is point and shoot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    That sound good to.

How about running a couple derbies? They are a lot of fun and there is not much pressure on the handler as all you have to do is point and shoot.

John

I dont think She will be ready..

It will depend greatly as to what happens this next spring..

I will have a TON of water work to get under our belt..

She wont see Swim By till prolly April or may..

Will age out in Late november..

I also think It would be a HUGE thrill, to sit on a bucket next to Chris Jobman at the Grand,,, but againn thats alll perty lofty for Gooser.

So,, that All know I broke threw away my broken record...... GRHRCH,, MH,, QAA.... Hows that???

If that were to happpen,,, Gooser will have a HUGE head on his shoulders!!!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

To low a goal Gooser.

Don't think of your training as ending at the Q level. Think of the Q as only a mid level stepping stone to a finished retriever. The MH Q level might seem hard but it really isn't.

If you limit your aspirations to having a Q level dog, that's what you'll wind up with. Aspire to have an FC/AFC and train to that standard. It could very well be that your dog can only do Q level work but it won't be because it wasn't trained and held to a higher standard, it'll be because that's what the dog could do.

Believe me, when you finish your first all age it'll be damn near as good as sex and when you win one.... Well, not really better if I recall correctly.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    To low a goal Gooser.

Don't think of your training as ending at the Q level. Think of the Q as only a mid level stepping stone to a finished retriever. The MH Q level might seem hard but it really isn't.

If you limit your aspirations to having a Q level dog, that's what you'll wind up with. Aspire to have an FC/AFC and train to that standard. It could very well be that your dog can only do Q level work but it won't be because it wasn't trained and held to a higher standard, it'll be because that's what the dog could do.

Believe me, when you finish your first all age it'll be damn near as good as sex and when you win one.... Well, not really better if I recall correctly.
    I'm with Howard on this one, and I bet Ted is too.

Baby steps...a Derby or two is a great start but ya gotta take that first step if yer gonna git there.
    Tom Rogers; Owned and Handled by Al Capone's Magic Patriot Son - Riot
    [FC/AFC Big Alfonse Capone of Mo-Kan x Dominators Magic Avalon]

R.I.P. Grandpaws FC AFC HRCH Taylorlab Downtown "Dusty" Brown MH & FC CFC CAFC Taylorlabs "Magic" Trick MH CD
    Riot's Career
    on EE

My mother encouraged me to dream big and told me when I was very young that I could succeed at whatever I set my mind to accomplish. To my regret on some occasions, but mostly to my satisfaction, I believed what she taught me.

When I began my field trial career with Zowie (later FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie), I told my pro, Cherylon Loveland, that my goal was to be a finalist in the National Amateur.

At the time, I had yet to run my first derby, and I had never been to a National. I had no idea what I was aspiring to accomplish. Since then I have had two finalists in the National Amateur Retriever Championship.

My goal now is to win one.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

[QUOTE=Wade;1038353]Many dogs are trained and handled to a qualifying 1st or 2nd by a pro.

Every time I think about entering a Qual I look and see the Pros entered and think why brother.

The biggest battle cry one constantly hears about FT's is "getting new/young people invloved". The 2 quotes above come from the original "What's the point" thread. In my opinion, the 2 quotes above say a lot about that "cry" for new blood.
    Last edited by Rnd; 11-29-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    To low a goal Gooser.

Howard, I remember your first Open win with Banjo like it was yesterday... I'll never forget it...
    Bill Davis

Gooser, I think I know what you need! You need a Chocolate Lab that understands YOU! I had one, Gator Point's Georgia Brown, that made ME look like a handler. At one hunt test I tried my best to get the dog to go a certain way until one of the judges said, "Leave the dog alone" and she picked up the bird. When I came to the water series that same judge said, "Why don't you let the dog shoot the gun too, she's done every thing else for you?" Those brown dogs have been good to me, try one some time, Chocolate is sweet. Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'