The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinone?

Check with Bill Autrey at Autrey Kennels. His fdaughter has one and Bill has trained and run in hunt tests.
    A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

There is a nice couple in VA that have a pair. They are members of our club, but I have not trained with their dogs on "our" types of set-ups. I have, however, had the pleasure of watching them work at a pheasant shoot. The dogs seemed to enjoy it and they brought the birds back...
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Brad, wondering if the retriever in your

I met two Spinone's here in Maine while training on water one day. Saw them a couple more times as the season went, but not for probably 3? years now. Owners were very nice and joined in some marks. I thought they were very neat dogs..interesting. Have met just a couple others here and there. I think at some obedience trials as well. Owners always seemed pleased to talk about them. If one likes a breed and what they have to offer and enjoys them, that's a good thing!
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I have seen quite a few in NAVHDA. Definatly slower wnd more methodical but a few out there are doing really well. One male passed the VC a few years ago. Saw his video and he has nice drive. I know several that were very hard to get swimming well... so it is still a be careful and SEE the parents in action in my book.
    Look into a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon if you like the looks and style of hunting offerred by a spinone. They are smaller, still prone to be closer working and methodical but a notch up in drive maybe and broader base of good hunting dogs to choose from.
    Fyi all the spinone I have met have been very friendly - not people shy - but some soft for training
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    Brad, wondering if the retriever in your

I met two Spinone's here in Maine while training on water one day. Saw them a couple more times as the season went, but not for probably 3? years now. Owners were very nice and joined in some marks. I thought they were very neat dogs..interesting. Have met just a couple others here and there. I think at some obedience trials as well. Owners always seemed pleased to talk about them. If one likes a breed and what they have to offer and enjoys them, that's a good thing!
    Yes ma'am! His first time in a pit blind. Arkansas, last week. He was a little "unsure" about it we don't hunt that way in East TN. Lol
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Quote Originally Posted by awclark View Post
    Personally....snore. Plodding bird dogs do nothing for me.
    Depends on what a plodding bird dog's doing - my spin'd leave a spume in your "bird dog"'s face at getting a duck or goose

Spinoni are far and away the best water dogs of the so-called "continental" breeds allowed into AKC retriever tests last year. If trained, of course - and like all gundogs ('ceptin' the "bird dogs" that only point for their ribbons and don't have to retrieve a'tall) they need to be trained for the task. Are we clear, aw?

MG
    Last edited by crackerd; 11-29-2012 at 06:37 AM.

I have seen them at several NAVHDA events. My impression: slow moving, quarter really close, very thorough in hunting, very friendly and probably perfect for someone who is older and wants a versatile dog. At one NAVHDA event a spinone did the best work but in my opinion it was too slow for my taste. And I really don't care for the coat.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I've trained a couple. They are friendly, sweet dogs, big, slow and close working. If you decide to get one, check out the parents and background. The two I worked with had prey drive close to zero, and couldn't find a bird in their feed pan. Doesn't mean they're all like that, but I would choose very carefully.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Hunted over one this past year. Slow and all of the above. Worst part I could see is the burs and stickers were really bad to get out after the hunt. The breed did not get my interest at all.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I have judged that spinone on Mr. Bill's truck. As I recall, it was a nice dog, not "fast" but nicely "motivated."
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy