RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Spinone?

10K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  mountaindogs 
#1 ·
What do you guys think of this breed? I am interested, but want to do my homework before I get a pup. I would like to get into hunt testing with my next dog.

#8 ·
Friend of mine had one. Neat dog.....slimed alot. Also do you r home work on heath problems with these. Not a lot in the US....hers died early on from cancer. I know that when she got hers that there were only 100 here in the states. Hers was imported from Italy.

Joyce

#12 ·
There is a nice couple in VA that have a pair. They are members of our club, but I have not trained with their dogs on "our" types of set-ups. I have, however, had the pleasure of watching them work at a pheasant shoot. The dogs seemed to enjoy it and they brought the birds back...

#13 ·
Brad, wondering if the retriever in your

I met two Spinone's here in Maine while training on water one day. Saw them a couple more times as the season went, but not for probably 3? years now. Owners were very nice and joined in some marks. I thought they were very neat dogs..interesting. Have met just a couple others here and there. I think at some obedience trials as well. Owners always seemed pleased to talk about them. If one likes a breed and what they have to offer and enjoys them, that's a good thing!

#14 ·
I have seen quite a few in NAVHDA. Definatly slower wnd more methodical but a few out there are doing really well. One male passed the VC a few years ago. Saw his video and he has nice drive. I know several that were very hard to get swimming well... so it is still a be careful and SEE the parents in action in my book.
Look into a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon if you like the looks and style of hunting offerred by a spinone. They are smaller, still prone to be closer working and methodical but a notch up in drive maybe and broader base of good hunting dogs to choose from.
Fyi all the spinone I have met have been very friendly - not people shy - but some soft for training

#17 ·
I have seen them at several NAVHDA events. My impression: slow moving, quarter really close, very thorough in hunting, very friendly and probably perfect for someone who is older and wants a versatile dog. At one NAVHDA event a spinone did the best work but in my opinion it was too slow for my taste. And I really don't care for the coat.

#18 ·
I've trained a couple. They are friendly, sweet dogs, big, slow and close working. If you decide to get one, check out the parents and background. The two I worked with had prey drive close to zero, and couldn't find a bird in their feed pan. Doesn't mean they're all like that, but I would choose very carefully.

#23 · (Edited)
I've trained a couple. They are friendly, sweet dogs, big, slow and close working. If you decide to get one, check out the parents and background. The two I worked with had prey drive close to zero, and couldn't find a bird in their feed pan. Doesn't mean they're all like that, but I would choose very carefully.

The two I've watched being trained and got their JH in the last 18months. One was a direct European import. The other two had some pretty severe fear issues with stangers. Not aggressive but, very fearful. Could be the two different owners are alike? I've been told by a breeder that allergy and skin issues are also fairly common.

X2 on the low prey drive but, chosing carefully would be the best advice. One that was imported was the most expensive. Probably one of the worst fearful behavior and lack of bird interest I've ever seen. She warmed up to me after a few weeks. But, never was right. Supposedly from the "best" breeder in Italy.

#21 ·
Mr. Bill Autrey will also tell you that it took him forever to teach the dog to run a blind (a couple years), and the only reason he spent so much time with it was because it was his daughters. He also says he wouldn't do it again. I have trained one to be a gun dog. Almost no prey drive and it takes three times longer to teach than a Lab or Chessie. Cool lookin dogs and as lovable as can be, but if you wanna play the game I would look into other breeds.

#22 ·
I think they are neat dogs. Was interested in one at one time. Here is my conclusion at one time years ago these were likely fine dogs. After years of breedings for conformation only people have bred the hunt out of most of them. I dont doubt there are some pure bloodlines out there still but it may take alot of research to find them. Good luck I hope you find one that suits your needs they are a beutiful dog iMHO.

#26 ·
Actually they as well as gwp( plus gsp and as of latest AKC votes) can now enter Hunt tests. I own two Spinones and have been training for JH with my youngest. I have a friend in FLA who has qualified and received JH on his dog. He is a hunter, I am a wannabe.

#27 ·
Sweetbriar have bred for hunt. I will say that some are bred for confirmation(which does include best form for doing the field work) but have not been tested. Some breeders will only sell to hunt homes, and require NAVHDA testing. I have 2 one has his JH and the Other Prized in Natural ability. I am training him now for Retreiver JH as he likes ducks an water much better than upland. with tier thick coats they are very good cold weather/water dogs. He did a 40+ minute duck search last summer to catch a very live, canny diving duck. No problem with prey drive ther

#28 ·
This is true. Their whole original purpose was to put food on the table, and be a family member. It is not written in the standard as low octane but my two quartered naturally in the field. One is a closer worker than the other, but the big running dog still checks back with me. When he gets in the water for a retrieve he is single minded though. THe duck is the object. His problem is me right now. They ARE soft dogs and do not respond well to heavy handed e collar. He has not been force fetched and it may be necessary as he likes to show off his retrieve before delivering. Soft mouth though so no chomping! Just posturing!

#29 ·
Griffs are a tad smaller but still a worthy wirey guy. It is possible that they may have less health issues at this time but with limited gene pools( like all the pure breds) there is the potential of issues. I have a friend that is only doing conformation and obedience and tracking with her Griff. They are interested in Hunt training but have not tested or hunted.

#30 ·
They do need socialization and are not a good left outside kennel dog. They are foremost a hunter/companion/family member for their master. Interaction in very important. If you want a kennel dog, they are not what you want. They also are not mindless retrievers. If they see no sense in something, or are handled to heavily they will shut down. They also are almost tireless. They persevere until they succeed. Remember the Italian lifestyle. They follow their human's example. They are also clowns and for this reason do not make the best field trial dogs. If you want quail, grouse, chukar, pheasant, ducks, goose or partridge to fill your freezer the will deliver. according the the Italians, they will also babysit and protect your children!

#32 ·
As A Spinone owner I am of course prejudiced. I have replied to several of your comments, hoping to clear the palate. I confess I didnt get into Spins for the hunt. I Had a coonhound prior so not sure what that says. I am a champion of the breed for many reasons despite issues I have encountered(mainly health) Due to the requirement of my breeder I pursued the hunting angle(my dad would be proud) and am totally into their purpose. I enjoy the close hunting of them, the birdiness is a joy to behold, their comicness, their desire to please, and the warmth on the bed all matter to me. I know many of you are trialers, hunters, etc. They may or may not be the dog for you. They have thick skin so can endure much cold without the need of neoprene. On a trail they enable you to keep up with them, they notice if you fall and will come back to check on you.They can go all day over rough terrain, they are stubborn, smart,soft, and are the largest of the gundogs. Their webbed feet are huge, they (most of them ) swim well, & have course hair. Those with the short dense coats do not have much trouble with burrs. Those with longer coarse coats, can be combed out with cowboy magic. They can enter briars, and also go to ground to find their quarry. one of mine disappeared into a muskrat hole after a duck and came out with it.They slobber and sling it but that is what enables them to have the awesome nose that the possess. If you truly are thinking about one get in touch and I will be honest.

#33 ·
Spinmom

Readers may not be familiar with the task of duck search done in NAVHDA. As a retriever person, it made no sense to me but I now understand it after doing some reading and going to NAVHDA tests.

#34 ·
What kind of hunting do you do?

Also, NAVHDA has an excellent program. If I were to get a versatile hunting dog, I would do NAVHDA events. I saw many different breeds (one friend has a Braque Francais, another a Pudelpointer), it is an excellent program and every one of the people that I met were hunters. BTW, the spinone I referred to pointed every quail in the field---the only dog that day to do so.

The best advice is to get what you like and work with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.