RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pebbles (7/6/2000- 11/28/2012)

6K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  HuntinDawg 
#1 ·
The sweetest bravest gentlest Labrador I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing, asked to go to the Rainbow Bridge today. Her mind was still strong, but her great body was wracked with arthritis and ravaged by diabetes and couldn’t go on.

Pebbles came into my life when she was 6 years old and just diagnosed with diabetes. Her owners couldn’t/didn’t/wouldn’t care for her and were going to euthanize her. I said with great gusto, “I can find a home for her.” And I did. She lived with me for another 6 years.

She was the greatest SAR dog that never was. The greatest OTCH dog that never was. The greatest Field Trial champion that never was. She never sat in a duck blind nor won a ribbon. I wished I could have put just half of her play drive, perseverance, and joy of life into a body that functioned. She would have been world class.

Good night, Pebbles. I hope someday I have the privilege of being greeted by you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Tree Woodland Forest Canidae Wildlife

See less See more
#4 ·
So Sorry Kathleen.....she reminds me of Ray who I had shipped up from Georgia rescue in Sept..Ray has taken over couch appropriations here

#6 ·
My condolences Kathleen on your loss of Pebbles..... it's not about the titles, it's about the love.... she'll be waiting for you at the bridge...

#7 ·
Sorry for your loss.....sounds like Pebbles met a great friend 6 years ago!

Chris

#8 ·
Maybe she had no ribbons, but she won a bigger prize - your heart! I am sorry that you had to say goodbye to Pebbles, but she lived her life with you filled with love - you will be together again.

#10 ·
Sorry for your loss. They give us so much joy - and so much heartache when they leave us.

#13 ·
Pebbles didn't need ribbons or trophies to know she was a champion. She had you. To have spent her last years being loved is the greatest gift she could have received. I know she'll be waiting for you at the Bridge with her tail a wagging and ready to play.

My condolences to you and all who loved her.

#16 ·
Kathleen, so sorry you don't have Pebbles by your side anymore and I know she took a chunk of your heart when she left. But she was an incredibly blessed girl to have found you six years ago. I hope that will bring you comfort.

#19 ·
So sorry for your loss, Kathleen. You gave each other the greatest gift, nothing else was needed. Godspeed, Pebbles.

#21 ·
Thanks everyone, I just wanted her to not be forgotten.

She had a box of Pop Tarts, 4 jars of baby food and most of a roast chicken while her sedation kicked in. She got to eat forbidden food and left this world with a stomach full like she never was allowed in life.

I want to think she left with a smile on her face.

#26 ·
I'm so sure that she did......
Sleep well Sweet Pebbles...

#22 ·
That was a beautiful tribute. WHAT a wonderful dog ... she was lucky to have you and clearly you were blessed to have her. I hear over the bridge there is no such thing as “forbidden” food ... RIP Pebbles.

#24 ·
We talk so much about drive and breeding and color and all that, but a good dog is a good dog, and they make our lives richer. She sounds like one of those good dogs you never forget.

Condolences, it's never easy.

#27 ·
Bless you bless you bless you for taking on an older dog with health issues in the first place. There are precious few willing to do that.

You were her Champion and she was your Champion. That's the only title that really matters.

I'm sorry for you loss. She's waiting for you....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.