The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on fostering dogs from your local shelter???

Default What are your thoughts on fostering dogs from your local shelter???

I'm really debating fostering a litter of pups from my local shelter. My concern is the health and safety of my dogs, and any dogs that I board at my kennel. It's weighing on me that I feel the need to "give back" or "contribute". But I can't afford to do so the expense of the health and well being of my dogs at my kennel. One factor is that I have a litter of pups due Dec. 31 - supposedly the litter only needs fostering until December 10th. What are some of your thoughts? I'm particularly hoping some of the experienced breeders on here will weigh in.

On a side note I'm also hoping that my hubby doesn't see this post, seeing as how I haven't mentioned it to him yet.....
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

I have had similar thoughts to help with Lab rescue, but I don't have a way to isolate the visitors. And if I have pups, I don't even let my own dogs near the newborns.

Unless you have a way to totally isolate the shelter dogs, I wouldn't risk it, especially since you have your own babies due soon.

Meredith

I do it at the risk of my adult, healthy, vaccinated dogs. If I had puppies or other people's dogs, I would never do it.
    Chuck

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Didn't you already have a parvo issue that just about devastated you? I wouldn't risk it!!!! Instead of fostering these pups, use your website to host photos of the shelter dogs, along with descriptions and temperament so that they could be seen by those folks looking to add a pet dog to the family.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Hey Tracey, Pam and I do some with foster dogs from local shelters and rescues, but we have a place at my shop we keep them at, not at our home kennels, given the problems you had once before and if you dont have seperate kennels I would wait and try it later. we have had a couple instances that we thought dogs were healthy but found out there were some major problems.
    I know it has to be true, I read it on the internet

BUCKS WATERMARK SAM MH
    CHASE N TIME MH
    TROUBLESOME MIDNIGHT RENDEZVOUS JH
    COOSAWATTEES AMAZING GRACE

I would not do it with your own litter on the way.... another time maybe, if the dog has been in isolation and gone through an incubation period
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

There are many other ways to give back without exposing your own dogs, ask what else the shelter has on their list that you may be able to do or provide instead. I used to foster. I don't anymore. The risk to my own was more than I'm willing to take.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Thanks guys for your input - you have verified what was my original inclination. I think I was looking for some verification that my concerns were legitimate, and that I was not letting myself use that as an easy way out. I particularly like Kim and Raina's suggestions about other ways to help out.

Decision made - no fostering for us.
    Tracy Hughes - Crimson Kennels
    www.crimsonkennels.com

Jessica's Chocolate Cait, MH
    Mosby's Big Jake, MH
    Tubby's Maxximum Trouble, MH
    Double G Cosmo's Dream Girl, MH
    Crimson's Coriander Dream, MH
    Johnson's Redwind, MH
    Crimson's TNT By Design, MH
    Crimson's Black Powder Girl, MH

Having rescued/fostered over 100 Chessies over the years, the worst I have brought home is kennel cough a couple times. Probably some luck involved. But, I would be especially cautious if I had a litter due. It sounds like you have a boarding kennel. Can the foster pups be kept there, ie seperate from where your own litter will be? If not, I probably would not take a chance.
    No question it would probably be safer for you to foster adult dogs that are current on vaccinations - in most areas there is a huge need for this, and sadly in most areas very few that do Lab rescue/foster. There are many nice juvenile / adult Labs that end up in shelters - often they just need a bit more time than a shelter may be able to give them to find the right home.
    You won't change the world by rescuing one dog...but you WILL change the world for that one dog.

RUN!! I would'nt take the risk,