The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are your thoughts on fostering dogs from your local shelter???

I fostered a litter once. I love raising puppies but it was a bit of a debacle. I will only foster in very careful situations from now on and not from the local shelter. Breed rescue maybe...
    BUT the biggest reason I dont do fosters right now is that we are on a rural road in a rural county with more than our fair share of dumped dog and strays. I try to keep enough leeway to do something for those dogs. I have a dumped right now living on the front porch.... refusing to leave. If anybody needs a catahoula blue merle let me know. Free spay and vaccs already included
    Last edited by mountaindogs; 11-29-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: more to say ;)
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab, retired)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH, RN (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

Join the LRC Inc (if you aren't already a member!), and I'd be HAPPY to put you to work on our rescue taskforce answering emails 10 days a month.

I too used to foster before I started breeding more regularly. Just not worth the risk around here as parvo is now being joined occasionally by distemper too.

Sounds like youve already decided against it which I would agree with. I avoid the shelters like the plague- just cant risk bringing anything home to mine or my clients' dogs.
    But- there are ALWAYS dogs needing homes/foster etc..... I usually step in on dogs needing rescue before they end up in the pound. I call it "private rescue"- I have one girl now who was just spayed and off to her new home next week. She makes a HUGE case for rescue -she is the sweetest little labrador Ive ever met and has the "I'll do ANYTHING for you " temperement.
    Just because you dont pull someone from a shelter, you still do your part if you help one out here and there- at least thats what I think- FWIW....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)