The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GDG: Any race fans in here?

Default GDG: Any race fans in here?

NASCAR came out yesterday and said the camping world truck series is going to race on dirt at the infamous Eldora Speedway. I grew up at the dirt tracks here in OH and my best friend races dirt late models so I love everything about the dirt tracks. How cool is it that for one race they are going to go back to the roots of nascar and race on dirt. I have been and taken the car to Eldora many times and it is one hell of a track.

NASCAR also said a few weeks ago that the Nationwide series is going to race at midohio sports car course which is a nice road course here in ohio. I have been to midohio a lot for motorcycle racing but it will be a whole new animal with 43 Nationwide cars on it.

It is going to be a big summer for Ohio and myself as I will more than likely got to both events as well as the Cup race at kentucky speedway. Both Kentucky and Eldora are about an hour from my house and Mid ohio is about 2.5 hour drive.

Just curious if there are any other race fans here and see how they feel about all this.

Nick

Dirt Late Models racing at Eldora
    IMG_7554.jpg

Eldora Speedway
    eldora-speedway.jpg

I grew up going to Flemington Raceway, (NJ) , sad day when it went to asphalt.
    I think it is an awesome thing! Maybe they will come up with a dirt track for the big boys! Tell Tony I want to marry him.....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I have talked to tony a couple times when we raced at eldora and before he bought the track. He told me that if he could make the $ he would spend all his time on dirt. Tony is the man!

Asphalt is for getting to the track.

Dirt is for racin..
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

Many cup drivers race there for Tony's charity event and most of them would like to see it become a cup race so maybe this is a trial race to see if it can be done. They all love it and it's a great race to watch on TV. I can only imagine what it's like live! A lot of owners and team members help build and crew the cars and really have a ball at the race.
    My choice of dogs is based on the Henry Ford Theory

It's a Field Trial thing; You wouldn't understand.

Yea The prelude to the Dream (the charity event) is a blast live. It amazes me how well the guys who never raced on dirt pick up on driving a dirt late model. It is a lot of fun watching the car you spend so much time on and blood sweat and beers on do well at the track.

About 10 yrs ago my company hauled in 18000 yds of clay and put down on Bristol motor speedway for two yrs they had two races each yr one was a big haveatampa late model race and the following weekend a world of outlaws race on the high banks of bristol. The late model guys had so much down force they had to get stronger wheels it was fun events. The guy they had over seeing the event and preping the track owned a dirt track near knoxville and he didn't get the dirt wet enough and it was a huge dust bowl and the track worked forever trying to get the dust off of everything and that put a end to dirt racing at Bristol. I think Sammy swindled went like 148 mph in his outlaw car where nascar guys qualify at low 120s.
    Chad
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

I am a huge NASCAR fan and am VERY happy the trucks will be racing on dirt.

I just hope though this doesn't mean the introduction of "ringer" drivers like we see in Sprint and Nationwide on road courses.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Baker View Post
    About 10 yrs ago my company hauled in 18000 yds of clay and put down on Bristol motor speedway for two yrs they had two races each yr one was a big haveatampa late model race and the following weekend a world of outlaws race on the high banks of bristol. The late model guys had so much down force they had to get stronger wheels it was fun events. The guy they had over seeing the event and preping the track owned a dirt track near knoxville and he didn't get the dirt wet enough and it was a huge dust bowl and the track worked forever trying to get the dust off of everything and that put a end to dirt racing at Bristol. I think Sammy swindled went like 148 mph in his outlaw car where nascar guys qualify at low 120s.
    Chad
    that was some of the best world of outlaw racing i had watched. i think they were worried that the cars were going to fly out of the bowl and into the stands. if i remember they wouldn't let folks sit in the 1st 10 to 15 rows.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I live 5 minutes from Kentucky Speedway. It is fun to be around on race weekends as 'us folks' who live around here are plagued by traffic all weekend. They have really improved it in the last couple of years. There is also a road race course on the other end of town that the developer ran out of money to finish. Beautiful track that will never see a race as the property is in foreclosure now i think.....DIRT is the most fun to watch............
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com