RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

GDG: Any race fans in here?

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Breakhigh 
#1 ·
NASCAR came out yesterday and said the camping world truck series is going to race on dirt at the infamous Eldora Speedway. I grew up at the dirt tracks here in OH and my best friend races dirt late models so I love everything about the dirt tracks. How cool is it that for one race they are going to go back to the roots of nascar and race on dirt. I have been and taken the car to Eldora many times and it is one hell of a track.

NASCAR also said a few weeks ago that the Nationwide series is going to race at midohio sports car course which is a nice road course here in ohio. I have been to midohio a lot for motorcycle racing but it will be a whole new animal with 43 Nationwide cars on it.

It is going to be a big summer for Ohio and myself as I will more than likely got to both events as well as the Cup race at kentucky speedway. Both Kentucky and Eldora are about an hour from my house and Mid ohio is about 2.5 hour drive.

Just curious if there are any other race fans here and see how they feel about all this.

Nick

Dirt Late Models racing at Eldora
Sports Racing Auto racing Motorsport Race car

Eldora Speedway
Night Sky Light Metropolitan area Sport venue

See less See more
#2 ·
I grew up going to Flemington Raceway, (NJ) , sad day when it went to asphalt.
I think it is an awesome thing! Maybe they will come up with a dirt track for the big boys! Tell Tony I want to marry him.....

#5 ·
Many cup drivers race there for Tony's charity event and most of them would like to see it become a cup race so maybe this is a trial race to see if it can be done. They all love it and it's a great race to watch on TV. I can only imagine what it's like live! A lot of owners and team members help build and crew the cars and really have a ball at the race.

#6 ·
Yea The prelude to the Dream (the charity event) is a blast live. It amazes me how well the guys who never raced on dirt pick up on driving a dirt late model. It is a lot of fun watching the car you spend so much time on and blood sweat and beers on do well at the track.

#7 ·
About 10 yrs ago my company hauled in 18000 yds of clay and put down on Bristol motor speedway for two yrs they had two races each yr one was a big haveatampa late model race and the following weekend a world of outlaws race on the high banks of bristol. The late model guys had so much down force they had to get stronger wheels it was fun events. The guy they had over seeing the event and preping the track owned a dirt track near knoxville and he didn't get the dirt wet enough and it was a huge dust bowl and the track worked forever trying to get the dust off of everything and that put a end to dirt racing at Bristol. I think Sammy swindled went like 148 mph in his outlaw car where nascar guys qualify at low 120s.
Chad

#8 ·
I am a huge NASCAR fan and am VERY happy the trucks will be racing on dirt.

I just hope though this doesn't mean the introduction of "ringer" drivers like we see in Sprint and Nationwide on road courses.

#10 ·
I live 5 minutes from Kentucky Speedway. It is fun to be around on race weekends as 'us folks' who live around here are plagued by traffic all weekend. They have really improved it in the last couple of years. There is also a road race course on the other end of town that the developer ran out of money to finish. Beautiful track that will never see a race as the property is in foreclosure now i think.....DIRT is the most fun to watch............

#11 ·
We race down at florence speedway on saturday nights. Are you talking about the "country club" racing place they started building 5 years ago or so? I guess they never finished. That place was beautiful but expensive.

I remember watching the dirt races at bristol and that would be awesome to see again

Glad to see there are race fans here.

#12 ·
Yeah that is the Country club racetrack....LOL

#14 ·
Cant wait for the eldora race. I have owned sprint cars for 20yrs. I have had some great drivers drive for us. Tim Keading,Jac Haudendschild,Kenny Jacobs,Dean Jacobs,Lee Jacobs,Jeremey Campbell. Also raced at the bristol race as a mechanic, not our car. Racing has been apart of our family for 40yrs.All Dirt.

#15 ·
Dogs and Dirt go well together!! I had alot of fun when we put that dirt on Bristol. My good friend the late Jeff Byrd had me go buy 5 old junker car and we put dirt wheels and tires on them for run in cars. Me and my old motor grader operator would turn the lights on in the infield and race each other i had a big LTD and he had a black crown vic we had a ball and would learn where we needed to work on the track from driving on it. About as much legal fun as you could have and get paid for it! We have a good dirt track about 50 mins from home at Bulls Gap that is where Scott Bloomquist learned to drive as well as many others.
Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.