The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film of the 1963 National Retriever Field Trial Championship!

Default Film of the 1963 National Retriever Field Trial Championship!

FILM OF 1963 NATIONAL RETRIEVER FIELD TRIAL CHAMPIONSHIP: I just got my converted DVD copy in the mail today and finished watching it. It is obviously the raw footage produced for a TV show, perhaps the American Sportsman? It is twenty-five minutes long, black and white with sound. The expert commentator is the actor Andy Devine, who it is known was a regular member of the gunners at National events. Some of the scenes are a little dark, and the flicker can be annoying. But by and large it is very good. Because it is only twenty-five minutes, and the audience is by and large uneducated about field trials, the audience only gets a taste of each series.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Here is info on Andy Devine -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Devine
    Kevin Walker

A little off topic but I have a very clear memory of my first haircut at the barbers shop. It was probably around 1953 or so, and my Dad took me in. I was freaked out thinking cutting hair would be like cutting off fingers. Anyway, my Dad was have trouble calming me down when kindly old Andy Devine stepped up out of his chair and came over to talk to me. I knew him as Jingles on the Wild Bill Hickock show, he was super nice and he did calm me down about the whole haircut thing. Just one of those cool memories, he seemed like a very nice gentleman with that distnctive raspy voice.

John

The show this was filmed for was the "CBS Sports Spectacular" hosted by Jack Whitaker.
    Kevin Walker

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    A little off topic but I have a very clear memory of my first haircut at the barbers shop. It was probably around 1953 or so, and my Dad took me in. I was freaked out thinking cutting hair would be like cutting off fingers. Anyway, my Dad was have trouble calming me down when kindly old Andy Devine stepped up out of his chair and came over to talk to me. I knew him as Jingles on the Wild Bill Hickock show, he was super nice and he did calm me down about the whole haircut thing. Just one of those cool memories, he seemed like a very nice gentleman with that distnctive raspy voice.

John
    And meeting Gertrude in the mens' room was my childhood memory of a celebrity. Then again, that probably explains a lot if you know who Gertrude was.

How can I get a copy of the DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

John
    I think that's a cool story.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    How can I get a copy of the DVD?

X2, enough with the teaser threads.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    X2, enough with the teaser threads.......lol
    I have to wait until the last DVD (from the film of the 1956 National Open) arrives before I can make any decisions. I checked with the company making the transfer and they said they think it will be another week.

These all will be made available to the retriever community one way or another.
    Kevin Walker

If the quality of the breedings/dogs has improved since 1963............please list traits.

ie desire, marking, intelligence, (general) movement - better joints, body shape of animal?
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.