The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Milner / Positive Training Method

Default Robert Milner / Positive Training Method

NOT trying to start anything !!!
    Has anyone had any dealings with Mr. Milner and his puppies ? and has anyone been to one of his Positive Training Seminars ??

PM If you feel the need to.

Thank You

I have, what would you like to know?

Would love to know if his pups are on the up and up. A lot of the sires and dams have not titles, so we have no history of the abilities of the parents.
    Second I would love to learn more about his positive training and have watched the 3 hour online seminar. Would love to see more of the step by step process in regards to the puppies from 8 weeks to 16 weeks which is missing in the 3 hour session so I didn't know if his 2 day seminar would cover this ? Or where can you find this with out going to the 2 day seminar. Tenn. is quite a drive !!
    Thanks for your response

Robert is often around, or at least used to be, to answer for himself. Based on his puppy pricing you can easily buy puppies bred from FC-AFC sires and MH dams, with full health clearances for the same money. Unless you believe titles are completely meaningless, I'm not sure what the selling point is.
    Darrin Greene

If you are interested, take a trip to Roberts kennel. I'm sure you can get better answers by doing the research and talking to Robert face to face. I've been to Roberts kennel and have talked to him several times and he is always willing to answer any questions.

It was a little over a year ago when I went to the seminar. Not sure if he has changed it up or added a step by step instruction, but the one I attended was the exact same thing as the internet version. I had watched the one on the web a couple times before going in person. I learned a lot more by being there, because there were hands on clicker training exercises with pups involving platform, stay during distractions and casting. But I actually took a plane there with my dog from california for what was supposed to be a week long seminar with a British pro in addition to an introduction to British style field trials. Unfortunately, the Brit didn't show. So I got the basics seminar all over again. Wasn't what I was hoping for, but must say I did learn a lot and kept building on that foundation after I left - even it wasn't in total agreement with all of Robert's methods.

As for the pups and mating pairs. Can't speak to that. Don't know if some of his breeding stock that he imported from Britain have Brit field titles or not. I think some do. You can call and ask. His cell number is published on his web site and he does answer it. Usually...

Jen

I know an old duck hunter from my home town who recently went to meet Mr. Milner and to see his pups. He was so impressed he came home with not one pup but two. Last time I talked to him he was going back for puppy training seminars.

Does anyone have a link to the online seminar?
    Thanks

Check out Milner's book Retriever Training: A Back to Bascis Approach.

You can preview a lot of it in Google Books to get an idea if this is the type of program you want for you and your dog.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vYVG...Milner&f=false

It is definitely against the grain for most who visit this site. From what I've read, there are some good and interesting methods and concepts that I have been employing with my 9 week old pup. If you plan to FT or HT, this is probably not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum Frog View Post
    Check out Milner's book Retriever Training: A Back to Bascis Approach.

You can preview a lot of it in Google Books to get an idea if this is the type of program you want for you and your dog.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vYVG...Milner&f=false

It is definitely against the grain for most who visit this site. From what I've read, there are some good and interesting methods and concepts that I have been employing with my 9 week old pup. If you plan to FT or HT, this is probably not for you.
    Thanks. I have the book out from the library and am about half way through it.
    My dog has been force fetched and collar conditioned and I have been following Lardy per his articles.
    I think that you can learn something from any source so tend to read and watch a lot of different methods and opinions.

I was referring to the 3 hr online seminar mentioned above.