The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Gun question ( Benelli M2 )? GDG

Default Gun question ( Benelli M2 )? GDG

I dont clean the gun often and it has been flawless except for a couple times. First time I cleaned it and it worked fine for a year.
    I the next time was this past weekend in Arkansas. The first day was colder then the other hunts, but after a few shots it started working ok untill the second hunt.
    I sprayed cleaner and Rem oil on it but still had problems.
    The problem is I have a hard time shoving shells in the magazine. Then it started jamming, some times not ejecting the hull and sometimes not putting the next shell in the chamber and the bolt staying open.
    Someone talked about a burr on something causing issues like this
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks

Check to be sure the bolt is closing all the way. (There could be dirt in the locking groves, for example. They're little semi-circular grooves at the start of the barrel.) This will make it hard/impossible to push shells into the magazine and could cause the other problems.

Did you change shell brand? Did you wipe all oil off after cleaning? Has it been submerged in water or used in the rain? If the cycle mechanism in the stock gets water in it, it will not cycle. Sometimes you get a bad batch of shells that aren't seated true in the brass and they will not feed properly. I store mine upside down in my garage after every hunt to make sure all water finds its way out of my gun.
    Just Win

I have not paid atention to see if the bolt closed all the way when the problem has ocurred, but after thinking about it ihave loaded a shell in the chamber then after was able to load the magazine, I think.
    Gun has been submerged, and I use all different brands of shells and loads.
    The times hunting when this happend I really dint pay attention to try and figure it out, Just wanted to get shells in. Probably just needs a good cleaning every 2-4 years
    Someone mentioned having a burr on the plunger where you push the shell in.
    I will strip it down and clean it real good and see how it acts.

When I oil it down I do whipe the oil of, thinking Im leaving a small film.

Take your magazine apart and clean the tube. It can get very dirty. Also, you can check the condition of the plug and the spring. FWIW, when I took apart my Mossberg, I found that the rubber o ring slipped off the wooden plug and was loose in the magazine tube. Something like this might bind the plunger.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."