The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

Default Another Boykin question

I've mostly hunted over Vizsla's, GSP & Britts... Had to put my Vizsla down last year at 9yrs with cancer... still having a hard time with it and no dog this season... anyway, time for a new dog. My wife wants a smaller dog & I have to have a hunting dog. Needs to be versatile! I like NAVHDA, I decided on a Brittany and found a good breeder with good bloodlines etc... anyway, I'm looking through a cataloge yesterday and see a little dog advertising a neoprene dog vest, thought is was a puddle pointer or something... turns out to be a Boykin. What the heck is a Boykin... made a few calls, no info on the breed, researched and found some basic stuff... friend on another forum (theoutdoorsforum.com) suggested I look over here.
    Q; are there any breeders in California? I don't care about show, agility, field trials etc... (though I may run a few field trials just for fun).... needs to be a good family dog & hunt!
    I don't mind traveling any distance to get a good dog... I know blood lines & training have a lot to do with it...
    I would get another Vizsla in a heart beat, but I also like being married too ... I know I said a lot there with only one question... but the next dog I get will be us for the next 10yrs+ we will also, most likely be getting another dog in a year and I would really like to see these dogs work....
    Q; anybody seen these dogs work in the retriever trials on the west coast? (I'm in OC), so I don't mind driving...
    thanks!

You wife will like the Boykin, she can tie pretty pink ribbons around the brown possum's curly ears! LOL
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Yo DOP,

You might want to contact the owners of "Duke of Earl", They're great people......
    Breed: Boykin Spaniel - "Duke of Earl"
    Owners: Elroy and Lorri Olson, Deer Island, Oregon
    Titles: 500 point HRC Champion
    http://www.lowercolumbiahrc.org/page2/page2.html

Found it - Elroy/Lorri Olson riverpilot168@gmail.com
    Last edited by Gun Dawg; 12-20-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Lots of Boykins here on the East Coast. GRHRCH dogs are growing! Duckquilizer sounds like your jealous. Must have gotten beaten by one!

http://www.boykinspaniel.org/

I own three myself.

Find Elroy in Oregon. I can't find his email but, it is riverpilot something? Someone here surely can PM his contact info to you.

Just about anyone in NC or SC are familiar with Boykins...the breed was developed in Boykin, SC...thus the breed name Boykin! Great "little" dogs with big hearts!
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

Thanks for some direction... anymore info would be greatly appreciated... my daughter would love to ty pink ribbons on a dog... but she prefers pink camo... I teach jr. high, so nothing phases me...

Get a hold of Blaine Tarnecki. He is on here. BlaineT I believe. Also Dan Reel. Two of the nicest most knowledgeable Possum guys I know.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Quote Originally Posted by DOG ON POINT View Post
    Thanks for some direction... anymore info would be greatly appreciated... my daughter would love to ty pink ribbons on a dog... but she prefers pink camo... I teach jr. high, so nothing phases me...
    Boykin Spaniel Society has a wealth of information regarding the breed if you haven't checked there yet
    http://www.boykinspaniel.org

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...boykin+spaniel
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vaughan View Post
    Great "little" dogs with big hearts!
    With big hauls too.

The "10+ years" counted on for working a gundog runs true with Boykins - Cracker's soon to blow out the candles

for turning 12 - when she gets a little time between "loading and reloading"...

And Boykins ain't possums either, the stub tail'll tell you that - They're better labeled as "mud poodles."

MG
    Last edited by crackerd; 12-19-2012 at 04:45 PM.