The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: first time training, and getting discouraged in transition pattern blinds

but even with a white bucket out there to mark it she still runs that line?
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

I just read it as a little bit of drift. Nothing to be concerned about. Add in the other two pattern blinds.

I'd be more concerned right now by the fact that she doesn't know sit. I'd work on sit until told to go.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Is there something prickly in that patch? It may not take much to make her paws sore since she is running over it again and again. The salt grass in these parts is hard on dog paws, they prefer to avoid it.
    Renee P

nothing prickly i dont think just soft grass, and i know the inching forward is a problem to correct, but not what i am focused on i can correct that with a stick correction
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Dog has not been taught to fight factors. Pattern blinds are about going, not going laser straight(at least thats been my approach)

I would teach 2 more legs. I wouldn't nit pick on pattern blinds. I wouldn't plan to need a whistle or cast until diversions are added.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    She looks good.

I agree with John, it's not a flare. She's correcting the line once she sees the pile. If you line her up crooked, she will take the line you give her until she remembers/sees where the pile is located. My boy, Tonka, still does it, though he's getting better.

A member of my club taught me to pick out a few "landmarks" (different colored grass, dandelions, whatever) between me and the pile/blind and then make sure my toe is pointed so that it, the landmarks, and the pile/blind all form a straight line. Then, when lining the dog, just make sure the dog's nose, spine, and tail all line up along that line.

Tonka and I are still working on getting it right.

How old is she? I notice that you are holding the collar, that's why I ask.
    she just turned12 months, and i dont have to, if i dont though i would have had to have corrected he for creeping up with my dead bird cue.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

will deff fix the creep, just worried and concentrated on the line for now anyways.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

If she has run the same line over and over she is in her mind going straight to the pile. This is the line she knows and will continue to use . Dont worry about it. Later when she gets better at handling you can come back to this blind and straighten it out by handling.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

This is a very beginning handling dog, do not worry about the line. DO NOT NIT PICK a young handling dog! There is MUCH latitude....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Pattern blinds aren't lining drills. You're off to a good start, even though I think your distance is too great for a first pattern blind. But that's just me. I gradually work them up to about 150 yards, and accomplish the scope and purpose of PB's, and move on - transitioning to cold blinds.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile