The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: first time training, and getting discouraged in transition pattern blinds

Deff. no pro here, and I didn't see much I would worry about as far as the line, but if this is something you are genuinely concerned about, place the bird on the line at the point of "flair" and work it back from there gradually. She should run over the each additional progression. Personally I think this would back track you to sight blinds until she gets to the full distance. She looks to be progessing great for a year old pup. Personally wouldn't worry about it.
    Jonathon Lord

Lord's Playin' it

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Pattern blinds aren't lining drills. You're off to a good start, even though I think your distance is too great for a first pattern blind. But that's just me. I gradually work them up to about 150 yards, and accomplish the scope and purpose of PB's, and move on - transitioning to cold blinds.

Evan
    I started at around 20 yards and worked my way back to the 120 yard point, maybe i did move back to fast, but she had run this blind previously at short distances and worked back to this distance. Is this how you go about it.

Thanks
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Thanks for all of the great advice so far!
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

I don't train in the "US standard method" but two things strike me.

First I echo what Howard said; that "sit" needs work. A dog that won't sit properly isn't giving you real co-operation, it's the thin end of the self hunting wedge.

Secondly I'm puzzled by the technique you are employing to line the dog up; given that you are having to restrain her, how do you alter her body / head line? It looked to me as if she was actually aligned to the nearby small shrubby tree, took the line correctly, and just bent off as she needed to when spotting the target.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Blimp View Post
    I don't train in the "US standard method" but two things strike me.

First I echo what Howard said; that "sit" needs work. A dog that won't sit properly isn't giving you real co-operation, it's the thin end of the self hunting wedge.

Secondly I'm puzzled by the technique you are employing to line the dog up; given that you are having to restrain her, how do you alter her body / head line? It looked to me as if she was actually aligned to the nearby small shrubby tree, took the line correctly, and just bent off as she needed to when spotting the target.

Eug
    That's what I saw as well...

Looks like she's being lined up with the shrub. That could be attributed to you lining her up wrong by holding her steady. I would go back to the basics to get her steady at the line and she'll probably start lining herself up automatically once she's properly trained to heel up next to you correctly. I'm in no way an authority on training but my Pro won't take my 2 dogs to the next level until they've mastered the first one. That way you only have to correct one thing at a time. Just my thoughts.

It may be the camera angle, but her noes spine and tail are initially lined up with the pile. She may be drifting left She goes, but initialy befor being sent she was lined up, but when she takes off she does tend to pull left... Idk
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post
    I started at around 20 yards and worked my way back to the 120 yard point, maybe i did move back to fast, but she had run this blind previously at short distances and worked back to this distance. Is this how you go about it.

Thanks
    Yes it is. But, as you noted, backing up too fast can cause problems. Looks like you've avoided some, and that usually means you have a nice dog to work with! To move forward in pre-taught blind work, an actual pattern is very handy. You'll hear the term "3-legged pattern" used a lot. Are you familiar with it? They look something like this.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Was the wind blowing right to left?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Yes it is. But, as you noted, backing up too fast can cause problems. Looks like you've avoided some, and that usually means you have a nice dog to work with! To move forward in pre-taught blind work, an actual pattern is very handy. You'll hear the term "3-legged pattern" used a lot. Are you familiar with it? They look something like this.

Evan
    Yes sir i was just trying to get this leg just right b4 moving to another leg, is this leg good enough to progress to the next?
    And no wind i do not recall
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy