The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canvas bumpers

Default Canvas bumpers

Began to supplement my daily training with canvas bumpers instead of plastic, as they are softer in the cold weather. Noticed today that a couple of the bumpers are starting to tear at the seams. Any ideas on repairing rips in canvas bumpers? I wasn't expecting them to be super durable as they are "redhead" bumpers but these bumpers aren't even dirty yet....

So I need to add a few replacement bumpers to the training bag - Who makes the best canvas bumpers?

Wildrose Kennels. Not trying to start a Wildrose high jack , but they make some really great bumpers made from cork (inside) and fire hose (cover) with rope stitched in. Holds up well, even does well in water.
    -Barton Ramsey

The wild rose ones are very good but expensive. I like the flagman bumpers, half black half white with streamers for nice contrast on most backgrounds.

I would ditch the canvas and go with the DT systems bumpers......super soft, even in the cold.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

I second the DT System great in the winter pref black when snows. Little more money but well worth it.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I have the Flagman canvas as well. Just one has a tear on the rounded end and that was due to puppy chewing on it. Used it anyway and it is still functional. Had 3 retrievers training with them, now 2. Set of 6 for years now. This season one has become sort of "flat"..a little mis-shapen but the dogs don't care ...

Other than the cold temps, they are great in water. Not the gagging that happens on long return swims with plastic. Closer to having a bird in mouth it seems. Also my guys just really seem to like them, so use year round.

Have plenty of plastic bumpers as well. They are used heavily with group training as that is what is preferred there. Some dogs do not want to pick up canvas (group), and that goes for blinds, too.

Oh...do have the orange canvas. Use them heavily and they do fade as it goes, not falling apart though. I got the orange at LL Bean, Freeport Maine. The only recent change they made to them is large green LL Bean lettering on the side of the bumper. Kind of upset about it at first, but got over it..LOL

Edit...purchased some Dokken bumpers for a teething pup. Have had them for several (6) years now, have held up under two puppies into their adult stage..and use in cold weather as well. Have not become hard in cold weather and not falling apart.
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 12-01-2012 at 09:44 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec CDX MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Edit...purchased some Dokken bumpers for a teething pup. Have had them for several (6) years now, have held up under two puppies into their adult stage..and use in cold weather as well. Have not become hard in cold weather and not falling apart.

I have used the Dokken bumpers as well....I think they are called the "super bird" or something like that! they are super soft foam that are great for pups, they held up pretty well!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Here they are: http://www.gundogsupply.com/doksupdum.html They are on sale..

Dokken Super Bumpers..and found cleaning instructions for them!!

Regular Dokken Bumpers are there, too.

How to Deodorize Your Dokken Super Dummy:

Mix 1 qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, a squirt dish soap, and enough warm water to cover your dummy (up to a 1/2 gallon if needed). Soak dummy overnight and rinse off the next day. Set out in the sun to dry.

I need this for the Dokken Ducks..they get unbearable
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 12-01-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec CDX MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I know they're expensive but the Real Duck dummy's are as tough as they come.

Can i get a link for the best price on the DT dummies.