The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failure to "Go"

I think Lardy's articles and dvds would do you a lot of good as he goes into problem solving quite a bit.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Being a "sensitive" dog, his collar never goes over the level 2 setting. I can barely feel it myself. It does a really good job at reminding him he has to listen to me. What do you mean with "cued stage?"
    In teaching blinds the white bucket is a cue to the dog that a retrieve lies by it. This is just an intermediary phase and I like to get away from it as quickly as possible, because all we are doing is teaching the dog to run towards white buckets with confidence, not to run a genuine blind with confidence. I have shot remarkably few white buckets in my time and never had to retrieve a single one.

It's the dog who decides what the level of intensity is, not the handler. I'm not a collar trainer but many here are, and can advise you on how to judge what is appropriate, or indeed when.

Your third sentence is very revealing; we need to establish ourselves as the leader in a partnership, but if he's looking away from us and ignoring commands he understands then there is something adrift in the relationship. The dog shouldn't need reminding that you are there, you should be the most wonderful thing in his world and his eyes should follow you everywhere. In this respect eye contact is enormously important, you might check just how often he meets your eyes, and wether he turns away or looks towards you. It may be that the "softness" that debarred him from bomb work is interfering with what you are currently doing. This is why I said it's so difficult to give advice without seeing you both together, we just can't read the dog or you. If you can find an experienced mentor or local training group I'm sure you'd both benefit greatly. That would be my advice along with studying the Lardy material as Wayne and others suggest.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Darrin Green may have some insight for you. He trains bomb detection dogs and is on this forum. Maybe he will chime in with some nuggets of wisdom.
    I'm no longer with the bomb dog program Jenn, and I really can't say much about the program or training methods, given they are both proprietary and classified.

There could be any one of 100 reasons the dog was washed out of the program. Softness may or may not be the problem at all.

Also, as with any dog in any situation, when the second owner tells you the dog is "collar" and "force" trained, you'd better take that with a grain of salt until you can prove to yourself that the basics are solid. Just because someone put a collar on the dog and pushed the button, doesn't mean he understands it. Just because someone pinched his ear or pulled on his toe, doesn't mean he understands it.

Sounds like the OP needs some basic education but you don't really know if that's how the training was done. Any assumption of what process was used is very dangerous. There have been at least two and maybe more trainers that have worked with this dog, so who knows what method they may have employed.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 12-02-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Sounds like the dog is afraid to fail, to not complete the retrieve. I would take a step back, shorter easier marks and build up the distance/difficulty gradually, more gradually.