The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouragement for amateurs and pos. trainers in field trials

No one is sure if a method will be successful until it is actually a success. No one has ever gotten 5 Qual jams in one season with a Golden trained without compulsion and force fetch, until now.

I'd be willing to bet that joe schmoe training his first dog with a collar and all the normal stuff is also uncertain about their method? Certainty and confidence only comes with certain success.

Were you certain that you were going to finish the last series of any trial stake before you got there?

By the way Jennifer I am an amatuer, Tim Carrion is an amatuer and we run field trials. Oh yeah we run chessies and don't use that as an excuse. All my dogs have been very soft.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    By the way Jennifer I am an amatuer, Tim Carrion is an amatuer and we run field trials. Oh yeah we run chessies and don't use that as an excuse. All my dogs have been very soft.
    That's encouraging, too Moscowitz! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    No one is sure if a method will be successful until it is actually a success. No one has ever gotten 5 Qual jams in one season with a Golden trained without compulsion and force fetch, until now.
    Do you have some evidence for this other than anecdotal?

Jennifer not to down play the accomplishments of the 5 qual. But there are some great Goldens out there running with the big boys and can hold their own. There's Elizabeth Wilson with Woody just needs a win for an FC, there's Purdy, Tri Fecta and more. I don't see these dogs as Goldens. I see them as good dogs.
    By the way who is your dog out of? I like dogs sired by Push.
    Finally this was a bad year for Goldens - two of my favorite Goldens passed - Marshall Richards Star and Ellis Ibbotson's Brandy. Brandy is Woody's Dam. I think of them often.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

I'd be willing to bet that joe schmoe training his first dog with a collar and all the normal stuff is also uncertain about their method? Certainty and confidence only comes with certain success.

Were you certain that you were going to finish the last series of any trial stake before you got there?
    There are some on this forum who were successful trainers of all breeds long before collars were available . As Tim posted that's nice - I hope it gives the individual encouragement to achieve more.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Do you have some evidence for this other than anecdotal?
    U beat me 2it . It took me a long time to see the merit in successful training methods, but I did, & the dogs were much the better for that transition.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Um, we aren't talking about him training without a collar. Lindsay uses NO FORCE at all. No pinch collar, choke chain, ear pinch, yelling, heeling stick, scruff shakes, etc. None.

That's what makes the accomplishment special.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie,
    Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

But what could the dog be ha the trainer taken advantage of all of the technology available today? Special dogs are hard to come by. I'm not knocking anyone for how they train but rather playing devils advocate. I would hate to know I had a really special dog and I let pride get in the way of the dog maxing out its potential.

I wonder what kept the dog from placing?

I think it great and it certainly is encouraging for the amatuer first time trainer and for those who choose to train without compulsion/collar! I enjoy reading Lindsay's blog from time to time. Congrats to him on a pretty good year by all accounts.