The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouragement for amateurs and pos. trainers in field trials

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I knew SOMEONE was going to tell me to get a Lab! They just don't look as good in a bandana!
    But Jennifer, all dogs look GREAT with a blue ribbon.
    Last edited by Howard N; 12-05-2012 at 01:43 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by claimsadj View Post
    Why would I have tried it? Dogs only live so long and it takes long enough to get consistant performance. I see no need to waste time with something like clicker training. I want to be successful with my dogs therefore I train with the must jriven of methods like most on here. My dogs have great attitudes and enjoy the training more than me. Don't fix what's not broken I guess. Again to each his own. Anyone playing the games at the q level and finishing deserves credit and respect for it.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I didn't say "try it", I said "take advantage of it" thus alluding to your own comment. Just because a method is not electronic doesn't mean it is neither effective nor efficient. I had a conversation with someone who has two FC-AFC dogs. I told her that I noticed that she was taking advantage of more than just one method of training. Her comment to me was "Why not, can't you use more than one?". This person uses clicker, choker, and ecollar.

"Wasting time with something like clicker training." I also felt just as you do. I ridiculed the method. Then I saw its effectiveness.

I also respect anyone's accomplishment playing the games. I also respect anyone who has a thorough understanding of behavior modification and applies it to dog training.

Again, I am also playing devil's advocate.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    The last series, he was the only golden and I think he was the only amateur owner/handler.
    Just to clarify: First, Second and Third were owner handlers. 4th may also have been but I don't remember all of the placements.

Nevertheless, Laddie is a fine animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    Looks like, counting Cape Fear...4 JAMS and 2 Reserve JAMs. All but one JAM earned this season, 2012.

Topbrass Lad of the Lakes SH WCX **, "Laddie"..nice pedigree!
    And, he earned the RJ's..and two JAMs..4 in a row. Jennifer!, Reserve JAMS are recognition for exellent work

Certainly that shows that he and "Laddie" were becoming a team. Very nice ..that is a big deal no matter HT, FT..or level of competition. Congratulations on that...a great achievement..so hope to see more from this Team in 2013!!!

He has a FT bred Golden Retriever if anyone cares to look:

http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=257111 (love that hip clearance..congrats on that, too)
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 12-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***(All-Breed AM 2nd)
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Great accomplishment. To play consistently at the Q level with those methods tells me its a good dog and a very good trainer. I would expect that trainer to be very proud and satisfied and thats what its all about!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Anybody read what Ted said or, am I the only person who hasn't ignored him? Congrats on the placement. Any guy who trains his own dog should be proud of any ribbon. Ted gets coal in his stocking.
    I'm not concerned with what encourages him. Anyone with money can buy a dozen dogs, get pro's to train them, wash 90% of them out and boast about those that succeed. More importantly I've gained more satisfaction watching a problem dog make progress, sometimes never getting anywhere from a title perspective. If blue ribbons are your only measure of encouragement, satisfaction or success metric, you're gonna be one huge grouch...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I'm not concerned with what encourages him. Anyone with money can buy a dozen dogs, get pro's to train them, wash 90% of them out and boast about those that succeed. More importantly I've gained more satisfaction watching a problem dog make progress, sometimes never getting anywhere from a title perspective. If blue ribbons are your only measure of encouragement, satisfaction or success metric, you're gonna be one huge grouch...

/Paul
    Are you suggesting that one could be an excellent trainer yet not have a titled dog? I thought that the measure of a good trainer was the titled dog.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Billups View Post
    Great accomplishment. To play consistently at the Q level with those methods tells me its a good dog and a very good trainer. I would expect that trainer to be very proud and satisfied and thats what its all about!

Bill
    I agree. If my only training decision becomes whether I should write the check with the black ink or the blue ink this month, its time for me to rethink my hobby.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Are you suggesting that one could be an excellent trainer yet not have a titled dog? I thought that the measure of a good trainer was the titled dog.
    no the measure of a great DOG are the titles.......if titles were the measure of a good trainer then there a lot of trainers on here that arent "good" which we both no to be a poor assumption....

there are quite a few accomplished trainers out there that do not have a titled FT dog...but they are good enough to judge and they have the respect of their fellow dog persons
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    You can always buy a titled dog

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"