The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Encouragement for amateurs and pos. trainers in field trials

Why would I have tried it? Dogs only live so long and it takes long enough to get consistant performance. I see no need to waste time with something like clicker training. I want to be successful with my dogs therefore I train with the must jriven of methods like most on here. My dogs have great attitudes and enjoy the training more than me. Don't fix what's not broken I guess. Again to each his own. Anyone playing the games at the q level and finishing deserves credit and respect for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    Part of the technology available today includes the clicker. How have you taken advantage of clicker training? Also playing the devil's advocate.

Anybody read what Ted said or, am I the only person who hasn't ignored him? Congrats on the placement. Any guy who trains his own dog should be proud of any ribbon. Ted gets coal in his stocking.

Looks like Darrin erased the post that I was responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    To each his/her own.

I would not be encouraged by a person with a 5 year old dog, who had only obtained a JAM, regardless of methodology.
    You lost me Happy. This was Ted's last post.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    Anyone training their first dog and competing with any level of success should be congratulated and encouraged, regardless of method.

Tim
    Thank you Tim. I agree.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    You lost me Happy. This was Ted's last post.
    I think the intent was to point out an accomplishment someone made not to belittle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Looks like Darrin erased the post that I was responding to.
    Post? What post?
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    I'm saying that it's encouraging for me to see that an amateur training his first ft dog who happens to be a Golden and using non-compulsion training, can finish 5 Field Trial Qualifying stakes with a jam against a field of mainly pro trained/handled labs.

That's it, the end. A lot of us training our first field trial dog are nervous and uncertain about competing at field trials. Add on the factors of running a dog whose not a lab and not trained with the same method all the others are trained with and you have a cocktail of things to be nervous about.

I just want to say right up front..... I'm just kidding.
    With that said get a lab and get with the program and reduce your stress. Again just kidding. sorry couldnt resist.

I knew SOMEONE was going to tell me to get a Lab! They just don't look as good in a bandana!

Yes I agree and they should be congratulated. Having said that there have been quite a number of dogs that were trained in the past by the , don't know all the new fangled buzz words, but, positive training? I have a friend who has made I think at last count eight FC/AFC's or AFC etc. and at least one of those dogs was trained without a collar and not with "boot ,shoot and electrocute". Oh by the way it was a Labrador. Having said that with the high level of dogs running trials I think it would be very difficult to make a "big boy" dog in the all-age circa 2012 by strictly motivational training, think I have that correct. Just one man's opinion.
    Earl Dillow