The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 114

Thread: He Always liked Guns?

  1. #51
    Senior Member Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    4,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I will be the first to agree guns don't kill without a person involved. So you have two options, get rid of the person or get rid of the gun. Both options are very difficult, so what do you do then? It's complicated but I'm a firm believer that if the postion of Zero Tolarance for guns is taken we will lose in the end, mainly because too many folks think the way the ESPN announcer does. Maybe not today but in time the votes will win the battle.

    Now my position maybe selfish because I want to keep my guns to hunt, and I believe that some concession are going to have to be made to make sure us hunters do not lose that prevledge. Somehow we have to de-couple our hunting guns from guns and I think we have a chance in the end.
    I would expect no less from a lefty. Why are you people so quick to have our freedoms legislated away?

    UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

  2. #52
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I will be the first to agree guns don't kill without a person involved. So you have two options, get rid of the person or get rid of the gun. Both options are very difficult, so what do you do then? It's complicated but I'm a firm believer that if the postion of Zero Tolarance for guns is taken we will lose in the end, mainly because too many folks think the way the ESPN announcer does. Maybe not today but in time the votes will win the battle.

    Now my position maybe selfish because I want to keep my guns to hunt, and I believe that some concession are going to have to be made to make sure us hunters do not lose that prevledge. Somehow we have to de-couple our hunting guns from guns and I think we have a chance in the end.

    Owning guns is NOT about the right to hunt (hunting is a privilege). Owning guns is about the natural right of self defense (read Scalia's opinion that I linked earlier.) Owning guns is not about helping protect the nation against foreign invaders, it's about the right of the individual to resist the tyranny of the state (again, read Scalia's opinion). These are two CRUCIAL points in any discussion about the right to keep and bear arms.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  3. #53
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,194

    Default

    Maybe..but my only purpose for a gun is to hunt. If the government turns on me, my guns will lose against theirs so maybe I'm selfish to want to keep my hunting guns at the expense of your protection guns, but the end game is we all lose if we hold our guns....no pun intended

  4. #54
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,616

    Default

    Everyone seems to say that an armed populace has no power against a standing army, but look at what is going on all across the world where armed rebels are fighting abusive regimes. In many cases, some or even many of the military members realize the corruption in the regime and join with the rebels. On the other hand, Hitler disarmed the populace and then just marched people in to the death camps. If those who hold my position lose, so will those who hold yours.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  5. #55
    Senior Member Ken Bora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    Posts
    11,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    ......Now my position maybe selfish because I want to keep my guns to hunt, and I believe that some concession are going to have to be made to make sure us hunters do not lose that prevledge. Somehow we have to de-couple our hunting guns from guns and I think we have a chance in the end.




    Martin Niemöller (1892-1984) was a prominent Protestant pastor who emerged as an outspoken public foe of Adolf Hitler and spent the last seven years of Nazi rule in concentration camps.
    Niemöller is perhaps best remembered for the quotation:
    First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Socialist.

    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out--
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

    "The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

  6. #56
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,416

    Default

    IMO you can't start picking and choosing what guns we can and cant have, with one caveat....the general public does not need a .50cal SMG or something similar...there may come a day when my "hunting" weapon is put on a banned list, just because of the action of the bolt (semi automatic shotgun)...Hope I never see that day
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  7. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I will be the first to agree guns don't kill without a person involved. So you have two options, get rid of the person or get rid of the gun. Both options are very difficult, so what do you do then? It's complicated but I'm a firm believer that if the postion of Zero Tolarance for guns is taken we will lose in the end, mainly because too many folks think the way the ESPN announcer does. Maybe not today but in time the votes will win the battle.

    Now my position maybe selfish because I want to keep my guns to hunt, and I believe that some concession are going to have to be made to make sure us hunters do not lose that prevledge. Somehow we have to de-couple our hunting guns from guns and I think we have a chance in the end.
    No votes wont win the battle. This isn't a popularity contest. It is a right guaranteed to us in the Bill of Rights. As such it cannot be repealed

    I really don't care what you or others want their guns for, and it really shouldn't have any effect on my RIGHT to keep guns for reasons in addition to hunting and recreation. You give in to the anti gun lobby with your stance and what is your argument if they say you can keep your hunting weapons at a govt depository and check them in & out for your hunt. That might suit your hunting needs, but it sure doesnt work for those of us who prefer to meet aggressors with decisive deadly force 24/7/365.

    The founders intention was clear that we have the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of defending ourselves from our own government as well as other aggressors

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,998

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    No votes wont win the battle. This isn't a popularity contest. It is a right guaranteed to us in the Bill of Rights. As such it cannot be repealed

    I really don't care what you or others want their guns for, and it really shouldn't have any effect on my RIGHT to keep guns for reasons in addition to hunting and recreation. You give in to the anti gun lobby with your stance and what is your argument if they say you can keep your hunting weapons at a govt depository and check them in & out for your hunt. That might suit your hunting needs, but it sure doesnt work for those of us who prefer to meet aggressors with decisive deadly force 24/7/365.

    The founders intention was clear that we have the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of defending ourselves from our own government as well as other aggressors
    Good post !
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  9. #59
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    No votes wont win the battle. This isn't a popularity contest. It is a right guaranteed to us in the Bill of Rights. As such it cannot be repealed

    I really don't care what you or others want their guns for, and it really shouldn't have any effect on my RIGHT to keep guns for reasons in addition to hunting and recreation. You give in to the anti gun lobby with your stance and what is your argument if they say you can keep your hunting weapons at a govt depository and check them in & out for your hunt. That might suit your hunting needs, but it sure doesnt work for those of us who prefer to meet aggressors with decisive deadly force 24/7/365.

    The founders intention was clear that we have the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of defending ourselves from our own government as well as other aggressors
    It's called "incremental progressivism."

    And they win by increments.
    Stan b & Elvis

  10. #60
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,416

    Default

    Now Costas tries to backtrack his statements and ends up saying that "no on should own a semi automatic weapon"...just goes to show how misinformed the anti gun rhetoric has gotten...they latch onto a catch phrase like semi automatic, assault style, self defense style....my Remington 1100 is semi automatic, my Sig Sauer is designed for self defense, my ex's S&W revolver is potentially as deadly as either one of my guns
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •