The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWIMMING how long

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    doesn't it also depend greatly on the temperature of the water?
    Yes it certainly does.

I would also suggest that if you do not have enough control over your dog to call them back to you on a dangerous retrieve, you might should consider doing more training and less hunting before you put your dog in danger.
    Last edited by Dman; 12-03-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

[QUOTE=Gunner's Dad;1040312]If you are worried about swimming ability get the vest with the little floaty things built in. I personally dont use them on this my dog because he treats everything like a lazy river if he has it on. Just sorta floats around enjoying himself. /QUOTE]

LOL my 14 yr. old loves her lazy-river vest
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Yes, big time! I was going to link the old sticky "ten minutes from dead" that used to be here, but I coudn't find it. Our retrievers have unbelievable heart, but they depend on us to keep them out of trouble. For example where I hunt water freezes over. Don't shoot a duck that may fall way out on the ice, I know of more than one guy who drowned trying to save his dog who fell through the ice trying to retrieve a duck. A dog with a lot of heart could swim way out to sea chasing a cripple, you better have a boat to rescue that dog. Also always hunt your dog with a vest in even moderately cold water. Hypothermia is a killer. (I wish I could find that sticky)

OK, off my soap box now,

John
    Hey John, I have a question about wearing the vest . I hunt in a reservoir often when everything else freezes up and put my dog's vest on for sure when it's that cold. My only concern is this reservoir has a lot of dead timber and trash in it, have you (or anyone else) ever had any issues with the vest hanging on something in the water that could potentially cause danger? Granted I'm sure the chance of hypothermia is much greater, I was just wanting to pose the question to the RTF to get some insight.

I had a dog who got her vest (Cabela's brand, 5mm) hung up on some beaver sticks. She struggled ripping her vest, climbed out of it and didn't drop the duck. I don't know if it would always turn out this well. I do have fears of big tangles really limiting their movements and holding them. I figure I might have to go in for one someday. Thank God it hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin86 View Post
    Hey John, I have a question about wearing the vest . I hunt in a reservoir often when everything else freezes up and put my dog's vest on for sure when it's that cold. My only concern is this reservoir has a lot of dead timber and trash in it, have you (or anyone else) ever had any issues with the vest hanging on something in the water that could potentially cause danger? Granted I'm sure the chance of hypothermia is much greater, I was just wanting to pose the question to the RTF to get some insight.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Proper fitting vest (snug) and if it a Avery vest or any other brand with the metal D rings on top -cut them off.

Dont trim the shoulder or neck area of the vest any more than you absolutely have to.

The brands with zippers are harder to get proper fit ,but once on they are less likely to come undone while dog is working.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

I have never had a dog hang up in the water, and hope i never do. But i have had to put trash out of the vest while hunting public lakes. I have pulled pieces of plastic, sticks and other floating objects that got in between the dog and the vest. Was not a big big deal, but did rub raw once when i did not notice till i pulled the vest off at the end of the day. Now i check my vest a few times a day just to make sure that it is clean.
    Benjamin Fain

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Proper fitting vest (snug) and if it a Avery vest or any other brand with the metal D rings on top -cut them off.

Dont trim the shoulder or neck area of the vest any more than you absolutely have to.

The brands with zippers are harder to get proper fit ,but once on they are less likely to come undone while dog is working.
    Yeah, I guess that's what worries me. I have the Avery Boater's Parka in a 2XL for my dog and there is a little room in the neck area. Thought about trying to modify it to tighten it up, but I don't know about my skills as a tailor, or if the neoprene would rip through eventually. He fits it real snug everywhere else tough, and when I tried the XL on him it was was like putting 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound sack just because his chest is so broad. Hadn't thought about the D-rings though, that's a good idea, I'll be making that modification shortly. Thanks.

Here it is, hope this link works. I don't see it as a sticky anymore either.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...d-be-dead-quot
    Last edited by LucyTudeOn4Feet; 12-05-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Not where I hunt, but one thing I have learned through this forum is that duck hunting and dog training in North America is very diverse. What works for me on the lakes, rivers and sloughs in NW Montana could be a recipe for disaster in a Louisiana stick pond. I think we all need to weigh the risks of where we hunt. I can't imagine hunting warm early season weather in a Florida aligator swamp, that would scare the heck out of me, but guys who know the land do it all the time. Back to your question, if your dog did get hung up, is there any chance he would be hung up with his head under water? Do you have a boat available so you could go out and unhook him? Are you more afraid of him getting hung up versus getting hypothermia. Are these danger areas obvious, if so you could just aviod sending on retrieves in that area.

Like I said originally, we have to be the brains in this outfit and use our brains to keep our dogs out of trouble. Use your best judgement.

John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 12-05-2012 at 11:02 AM.

They can swim until they get in trouble.........then what are you going to do about it is the real question. Duckdon