RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

SWIMMING how long

6K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Don Lietzau 
#1 ·
My nephew called me tonight, said he was hunting ducks this morning and dropped a duck out a ways. His 10 month old pup went after the bird. The wind was blow hard and the duck was drifting away across the river. The dog not considering the wind hunted in the fall area. The water was choppy so he couldn't see the duck drifting away. So he asked how long can a dog swim before he gets in trouble. I said they can swim longer than you can think they can. BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG ?
Can you tell when the dog is in trouble. Are the floating and padleing along when they swim. anyone know ?:confused:

#2 · (Edited)
You can definitely tell if your dog is in trouble especially if you know your dog. Mine wasn't a pup like your sons is, but I have seen mine swim for a couple hours when he was chasing the Asian carp around here, but he was 10yrs old. When he got tired he would swim to the bank and get out of the water(I know a totally different scenario than yours). Granted it wasn't wide open water in a heavy chop. As for how long a dog can swim, I would imagine a few of factors come into play, environment, shape of the dog, etc. etc. There are a few examples of what I am talking about with mine if you want to wade through the pics to see a few vid clips that I got of him.. http://s257.beta.photobucket.com/us...brary/?&_suid=1354536159905019990912958217777

#3 · (Edited)
I had to rescue an older retriever, this past summer who got pulled into chop. He had lost a retrieve got caught in a swirling current and couldn't get back in. I can say it's pretty easy to tell when they get into trouble, like humans they start to panic, a regular swim transforms into a butt sunk, front legs splashing swim (puppy swim), they'll start to go under pop-back up, you can see them getting tired, a lot of splashing, coughing, etc. Once I got out to him, I was able pull the butt up by the tail, he calmed, and was directed back into shore. I was very glad my female decided to follow me out, dealing with a panicking dog trying to climb your back in swirling current isn't fun, and We probably would've ended up pretty far down stream, if she hadn't drug us in. ;)

So how long can they swim? Depends on the dog, some dogs are great swimmers some are not. Some dogs float, some dogs don't. I've watched a 14+ yr old swim for hours, she sort've just floats. Swimming is no effort for her. She gets caught in a current she'll ride it down, swim to shore and walk-back. I've had one get tangled in decoy string, where they couldn't get back and they just sort've bobbed around until we got over to cut them out. But then I've watched a dog go off a dock, sink, and exhaust himself getting back 10 ft. from shore, watched the same dog have to be pulled out of tulley's by a bird-boy, and then had to swim out and save him this summer. The dog's just not a great swimmer, and as he's gets older I have to watch him a lot more.

#4 ·
Right now there is no current there, because the mouth of the river is blocked with sand. I will have to tell him to be careful if the mouth opens up, I have taken my dogs to the lake to swim, never had them say stop throwing bumpers, it is usually me telling them to stop.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes, big time! I was going to link the old sticky "ten minutes from dead" that used to be here, but I coudn't find it. Our retrievers have unbelievable heart, but they depend on us to keep them out of trouble. For example where I hunt water freezes over. Don't shoot a duck that may fall way out on the ice, I know of more than one guy who drowned trying to save his dog who fell through the ice trying to retrieve a duck. A dog with a lot of heart could swim way out to sea chasing a cripple, you better have a boat to rescue that dog. Also always hunt your dog with a vest in even moderately cold water. Hypothermia is a killer. (I wish I could find that sticky)

OK, off my soap box now,

John

#7 ·
And while we are on that subject you shouldn't be hunting the dog in big water if you don't have the means to recall him off a dead floating away bird. Had a client do so and he found his dog 4 days later dead on the hiway. enough said.
Clay

#8 · (Edited)
i read the hypo thread, and the recall info is also good advise. our temp here is 70 day and 50-60 at night, not sure of the water temp on the river. He does hunt the dog with the vest. I will have to send him this forum, he is a beginner and could do some reading, thanks for all the help so far
t.

he said he tried to call the dog in but the dog really wanted the duck. I said good, thats the kinda dog you want. We will get him to come in when you call him.

#10 ·
If you are worried about swimming ability get the vest with the little floaty things built in. I personally dont use them on this my dog because he treats everything like a lazy river if he has it on. Just sorta floats around enjoying himself.

On the swim time question, my dog has (even recently) ruined a fishing trip in the lake because he wanted to swim around the boat for hours, rather than sit like a good boy while i fished. It was fun for him at least.

#12 ·
If you are worried about swimming ability get the vest with the little floaty things built in. I personally dont use them on this my dog because he treats everything like a lazy river if he has it on. Just sorta floats around enjoying himself. /QUOTE]

LOL my 14 yr. old loves her lazy-river vest ;)

#16 ·
I have never had a dog hang up in the water, and hope i never do. But i have had to put trash out of the vest while hunting public lakes. I have pulled pieces of plastic, sticks and other floating objects that got in between the dog and the vest. Was not a big big deal, but did rub raw once when i did not notice till i pulled the vest off at the end of the day. Now i check my vest a few times a day just to make sure that it is clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.