The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test

Question Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test

Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test when a dog returns to the line can he/she hold the bird in its mouth while the blind is planted (the judges have the dogs turn around so they can’t see the bird boy plant the blind).

why?
    your taking a chance of the dog droping it and not picking it up or you and dog getting into a hissy. do not give the judges something to judge. get the bird from Rover and get it out of your hands.
    and then the ever looming chance of some do-gooder pointing out they are sure you are training on the grounds.
    get the bird, get your hands free, line up your dog.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    why?
    your taking a chance of the dog droping it and not picking it up or you and dog getting into a hissy.
    1000% agree.

I too am interested WHY you would want to do this at a TEST??

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Maybe.

The judges might say that the marking portion of the test ends before they allow you behind the holding blind.

Just a hunch, but is there some underlying obedience issue with the dog? (i.e. some high rolling dogs are a handful at the line except for when they have a bird in their mouth).
    Stray labs make great pets.
    Proud member of the FF society.

Quote Originally Posted by justme View Post
    Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test when a dog returns to the line can he/she hold the bird in its mouth while the blind is planted.
    I know perfectly well where you're coming from and yes you can have the dog hold the bird in its mouth while they plant the blind if you so choose just remember you are under judgment the entire time.......

Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test when a dog returns to the line can he/she hold the bird in its mouth while the blind is planted (the judges have the dogs turn around so they can’t see the bird boy plant the blind).
    If the judge asks for then you have to give it to them,,,but if they let you go back into the holding blind with it (which has been my experience mostly and they don't ask for it until the blind is ready,,,,, then,,,,, if you find it advantageous to do so then take advantage of it. Good handling at a test is not necessarily good handling during training.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    I know perfectly well where you're coming from and yes you can have the dog hold the bird in its mouth while they plant the blind if you so choose just remember you are under judgment the entire time.......
    UNTIL the judge asks for the bird....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    UNTIL the judge asks for the bird....
    I have never been asked by a judge to take the bird out of my dogs mouth......

I had a judge ask for the bird last month . I have a busy dog and was going to let her hold it and the judge asked me for it. It was at Rover's Content, in Brandywine...
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com