The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    I have never been asked by a judge to take the bird out of my dogs mouth......
    Me either. NOR have I ever asked for the bird from a handler when I judge.

You know bad mouth habits when you see them. If a dog is gonna freeze or be sticky, its usually VERY visible.

I have run MANY MANY tests where you have been asked to "receive the bird" in the holding blind AND I have set up MANY MANY tests where I have asked the handler to "receive the bird" in the holding blind.

I did drop a Master handler once for a tug of war that went on in the holding blind under one of those scenarios.

WRL

To answer your question, yes you can. and it can be a good technique with some dogs. Only you would know what's going to work for you and your dog not someone else. I have some dogs that do well in that situation with me just taking the bird and holding in front of them so they stay focused on it and keeps me from getting into an obedience battle. When the blinds are ready I had the bird to the judge and proceed. In almost 12 years of HT I've never had a judge ask me for the bird. If you wanted you could hold all the birds and then hand them to the judge when you leave. But I wouldn't advise that!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shafer View Post
    I have never been asked by a judge to take the bird out of my dogs mouth......
    I have. In a hunt test in exactly the sceenario described. I received my dog in the holding blind. He was all antsy from the marks and was being unruley in the holding blind all fired up and not sitting. I told him to sit before I asked him for the bird. He was bouncing all over and the judge asked for the bird. I told the dog to sit and he sorta did for a second or so. I said give and he gave me the bird and then went snapping after it when I handed it to the judge. If I'd gotten him sitting steadily, I don't think he would have followed the bird.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Most of the time one judge will follow you to the holding blind and take the bird. Even though you're in a holding blind you are still under judgement so any roughness with birds or trainability issues are being judged. When judging, I don't give the handler the option of holding onto the bird after the dog gives it to them.
    Tom Dorroh

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I have. In a hunt test in exactly the sceenario described. I received my dog in the holding blind. He was all antsy from the marks and was being unruley in the holding blind all fired up and not sitting. I told him to sit before I asked him for the bird. He was bouncing all over and the judge asked for the bird. I told the dog to sit and he sorta did for a second or so. I said give and he gave me the bird and then went snapping after it when I handed it to the judge. If I'd gotten him sitting steadily, I don't think he would have followed the bird.
    I usually tell the handler I'll take the bird when they get into the blind but don't expect it until they are ready ...never rush a handler , if there is a lengthy battle that is another story....Steve S

Going back to the question "why would you?", if you have a worry about this situation you are better off working on what ever problem that you are worried about before you enter any more stakes.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    Going back to the question "why would you?", if you have a worry about this situation you are better off working on what ever problem that you are worried about before you enter any more stakes.

Bert
    and todays gold nugget award goes to the greatness of Bert!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

As a Senior judge I try to let the handler set his dog up for the memory bird if he has the duck behind him. Some young dogs will be distracted from me moving around behind the handler. When the dog launches for the second bird I reach and take the bird from the handlers hand. The reason for this is when I used to run my Maxx dog he got very antsy anyway without anyone moving behind him. I think that I am showing the handler the courtesy that was shown me by some judges that I really look up to. When returning from the last mark i try to have my blind planter close enough to plant the blind as the dog is returning. If not I will follow the lead shown by the handler as whether he takes the bird or lets the dog hold it. I am however judging whether your dog is chomping or messing the bird up as long as they have thee bird in their mouth.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Its been awhile since I ran Senior. But,, the way I remember the one I have ran,,, the judge had you move to location where the dog could not see the blind be planted, as the dog returned from the memory mark..

So,, the dog just was called back to the handelr at a different location.. And yes it has at times been NEAR a holding blind that you just stepped behind when the dog returned..

I still dont under stand all this talk..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

This is a individual judge choice so ask and clarify at the handlers meeting.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."