The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Delivery to hand question – AKC Senior test

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Absolutly!!!

I just dont understand all the talk???

Dog comes back to me. Dog sitting at heel.
    I take bird from dog.

Turn dog to a front finish.

If my dog turns its head and looks... What entity doidnt plan the mechanics of the test well?

If the judges dont want the dog to see the blind planted,,,, Then take measure so that CANT happen..

Gooser
    That was my take as well, I can't imagine a test set up this way (without a holding blind) especially in a stake with high #s. It's an unneceessary issue created by a poorly thought out test.

I have, however, done this in training many times.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Keep in mind also, that the op stated SENIOR test

a double with a blind.

I believe the blind planted outside the test ,by rule.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Alright if you run the blind first can you let your dog hold the bird while the marks go off.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Here's what the rule book says:

(4) Delivery of the bird in each level of Hunting Tests must be made to the handler directly, upon return from the retrieve; in any Test it should be given up willingly. A dog shall not drop the bird before delivering it, freeze, or be unwilling to give it up. It shall not jump after the bird once the handler has taken it. A faulty delivery may, depending on the Test, range from a slight lowering of the Trainability score for an isolated offense, to the withholding of a Qualifying score for a severe freeze or “hardmouth.”
    Tom Dorroh

I think Mr D just ended the discussion..

Thanks Tom!

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

Nah no end to discussion the rule just gives grey area, after all Define "Directly" and what is the real spirit of the rule? To me the rule has two parts. Directly means dog comes directly back to handler, after a retrieve and doesn't screw around in the field. Then the second part of the rule is to give up bird willingly and promptly when asked, until he is asked the dog is responsible to hold on to the bird. If the handler doesn't ask, until he puts down his gun, finishes his PB&J sandwich or even lines the dog up on a blind. Yet the dog gives up the bird promptly, when the handler actually asks for it. What difference does timing make?

If a handler doesn't ask for the bird and chooses to use a well taught responsible hold to his advantage "Smart Handler", It might be refreshing to put something beside DAH in a book
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 12-05-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

This is ONE of the reasons I dont particuarly care if I ever run a Hunt test again..

People take a pretty straight forward rule,, then "Interpret" the thing so they can add silly requirements to the test.... Hold till I eat my sammach! Give me a break!! have more respect for the dog thats workin its arese off for you!!! Please!!

" Directly" in this rules connotation to me means,, Bring the bird straight back to the HANDLER... Not try and give it to the judges,,, visit the bird rack,, or prance around proudley with the thingg.. It means to me,,, Dog get your arse back to my side,, and deliver the bird.... We Got more birds commin in,,, and I anit gonna be eatin a sammich!! I want the bird in my hand,,,, and YOU,, dog be ready for the next.....

Thats what HUNTIN is!!!

NOT askin the dog to turn 3 times around the holdin blind,, while the judges discuss whats happen next,,, and THEN OH,,, By the way,, you dog can NOW let go a the bird!! What a CROCK!!!!

What about a Very HOT day,, and really BAD birds Ya see at hunt tests??? Ya wanna disrespect that dog and make him hold it??? WHY?????

Just to see him drop it,, and not pick it up, so you can send him Packin???? WOW!!!

These are SENIOR LEVEL DOGS!!!!!!!

BUt,,, as the previous poster said,,, the silly discussion continues.... Wheres the OP??

Gooser

Directly back to handler. Dog can hold the bird as long as you want it to or until your asked for the bird by the judge. then the dog should release the bird to the handler.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas D View Post
    Here's what the rule book says:

(4) Delivery of the bird in each level of Hunting Tests must be made to the handler directly, upon return from the retrieve; in any Test it should be given up willingly. A dog shall not drop the bird before delivering it, freeze, or be unwilling to give it up. It shall not jump after the bird once the handler has taken it. A faulty delivery may, depending on the Test, range from a slight lowering of the Trainability score for an isolated offense, to the withholding of a Qualifying score for a severe freeze or “hardmouth.”

So,, dog comes back directly to the handelr,, and UPON THE RETURN delivers the bird!!

I dont think I would Judge with someone so silly as to NOT understand what that means,, OR<<<< want to apply his ego,,, and require the dog and Handler unnecessary stipulations, because of his (judges)controlling personality...

Let me think.....

What does the RULE BOOK say is of "Primary Importance"???