The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best trainer?

Ronnie Lee, Chuck McCall, Barry Lyons...Take your pick. I don't think one is any better than the other. How YOU interact with one or the other is a whole different animal. You're asking an internet forum to name the number one, all time, hands down, no question about it greatest trainer ever...and you actually thought we'd all come to an agreement?? Cmon man, lets be rational. We all have our opinions and some of us will actually share one or two but there aint no way you're gonna get the answer you want. Rather, you're probably gonna get a list of guys that you should go spend some time with for the sake of your puppy.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

Ok JG, I hunt on a very nice spot in Arkansas. No matter where you hunt, here is the deal.
    You and your buddies are in the blind and down 3 or 4 ducks, 3 are dead in front of the blind
    and the fourth is cripled and getting away, do you have a dog you can no off the dead birds and handle to the cripled bird?
    In my opinion you need a well disciplined animal to be the best in any camp.
    Contact Joe and Scott Harp or Charlie Moody they train trial dogs but if cash is no object and you want the best dog then there you go.

Good Luck,

Gregg Leonard

Where in north ms are you located? I've got a group that trains pretty regularly and would love to have you come join us sometime if you're on this side of the state, if you're on the I-55 side there are a bunch of guys from Southern Flight HRC that train and can help you find someone that fits your needs.

I would second Scott and Joe. Want the best might as well use one of the best...

I am up close to Memphis. Close to Southaven and Olive Branch

Quote Originally Posted by jgstrange View Post
    I am up close to Memphis. Close to Southaven and Olive Branch
    Call the Harp's they are in your backyard.

I vote for Chuck McCall in Baton Rouge. I was impressed with that when ever he was going to the line or coming back the dog looked happy no matter pass or fail. such is life no matter how bad things get smile and you will live a better life.

I would definitely call the Harps and go hang out with Scott some. He's a great guy and a lot of fun to be around and has some real nice dogs.

jgstrange,

My two cents. Maybe the reason you noticed the difference in the "seasoned" dog at every camp is because he didn't spend months at a trainer's place. More likely he spent months hunting! A trainer and training will only take you so far. On the job training is the only way you'll get the "best dog in camp". You and your dog will have to get it the old-fashioned way . . . Earn It!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Like Jeff said the only real way you are going to have a dog that will be able to hunt in all of those different scenarios will be to expose it to those scenarios so it has the experience to handle them. Training will be a big part of its ability to adapt to them but experience will be the key to it all. When I started with my first dog my goal was to put my dog into as many different types of hunting situations as possible so that he would have the ability to hunt with me in any environment. He's 9 now and he's hunted in everything from beaver ponds, rice fields, rivers, big water lakes, salt water, pits and layout blinds. I can hunt him anywhere. The seasoned dogs you talk about are just that, Seasoned. They've hunted and learned how to hunt.
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012