The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was thinking I might like a field Golden

To the OP, regarding the price of a pup, I remember balking at $350.00 when I bought my first pup, and thinking $2,000.00 for a started dog was just crazy talk. I have since learned that paying more upfront for a well bred pup is money very well spent, and relatively meaningless over the life of that dog compared to training cost, entry fees and vet bills.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    Great Photo,
    Yep, that could be a sedge chessie!
    I always feel a special bond with the Chessie guys. Actually three of my favorite field trial judges all run Chessies.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 1morex View Post
    I am starting to kick around the idea of adding a retriever to my kennel to run hunt tests and retrieve ducks when the weather gets too cold for my versatile dog. I had a Labrador in the past and with the exception of the health problems ( knee's ) she was a wonderful dog, I am a bit gunshy about Labs for this reason. I have looked at a couple of kennel websites and couldn't believe the price people want for Golden's. $1500-$1800 REALLY? Is this the norm? I plan to make it too a few hunt tests in 2013 and hopefully I can watch some Golden's work.
    Is the possible new Golden Retriever addition to be a house dog?..as well as hunting and trialing?

Golden Retrievers do not make good full time kennel dogs.

http://www.rockerinkennels.com/... RockErin Golden Retrievers were the first very "curly" fur that I saw when first becoming aware of the offerings all across the country. The Sunfire pedigree in our "Ranger" started the introduction of the great old FT Goldens.

The Brassfire pups mentioned are, IMHO for a very experienced, exellent trainer, field person...or performance home. ..nothing but compliments on the pedigree combination Or if someone new to the sport, an exellent mentor and training group as resources..or exellent pro to work with.

Sue's pups...hoping she would post to this thread.

As already said, consider what you will do with the pup and look for a pedigree combination that is best for that purpose....and a reputable breeder that will honestly try to match you with an exellent puppy.

Judy (again, though, ....live in the house?)
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec CDX MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I was thinking the same thing Judy. To the OP--good idea to go watch some Hunt Tests, while there make sure to talk to the owners about their dogs. Goldens love their people, A LOT and vice versa. The cost of a puppy is the least of my concerns when looking for my next golden pup, 1500 to 1800 is indeed the norm for a well bred field golden~~and higher. (Edit-don't want to sound snobby~coming up with the money is a concern~~and worth every penny.)

marsh mutts gone bad momma
    Last edited by Pals; 12-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Chute View Post
    That is one beautiful photo!!
    Sure is!
    John Baitinger

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I always feel a special bond with the Chessie guys. Actually three of my favorite field trial judges all run Chessies.

John
    Just when I was starting to think you were "normal"
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Bait View Post
    Sure is!
    I should have given proper credit; Bait's wife Kathy took that shot last month.

I too would vouch for the Brassfire litter if there are any still available. Jetta is a very nice dog even though she's not black. Chris is a very knowledgeable breeder and trainer.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I should have given proper credit; Bait's wife Kathy took that shot last month.
    Yeah, she thinks she's cool. She doesn't need her head any bigger. (and Alex is very photogenic) I did kinda like that one she got from behind you, pulling that double on the mallards tho.
    Last edited by Bait; 12-04-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    John Baitinger

Quote Originally Posted by labsforme View Post
    I too would vouch for the Brassfire litter if there are any still available. Jetta is a very nice dog even though she's not black. Chris is a very knowledgeable breeder and trainer.

Jeff
    I agree with your whole post, Jeff.
    John Baitinger