The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Was thinking I might like a field Golden

Let me start by saying I have been involved in dogs for 20+ yrs, mostly versatile bred dogs. My dogs are all allowed in the house and the ones that are trustworthy stay in all day the ones that aren't are kenneled until I get home from work. I currently have a German Wirehaired Pointer (14), an English Pointer (5), and a Pudelpointer (18 mos) they range in price from $ 200.00 up too $1200.00 the cheapest dog I own has won and placed in the only trials we have entered to date, and they were all pro's we ran against. I don't really buy the "you get what you pay for" argument when purchasing puppies I have seen and worked with just as many "duds" that were high priced litters as I have from backyard breeding. After all no one can predict the outcome of any breeding. I paid unheard of money for a Labrador 15 yrs ago from a well known kennel using a well used and popular stud, well at 10 mos she had to have a luxating Patella repaired which was not injury induced, that was followed by an ACL injury 2 yrs later followed by another ACL 1 yr later and she was basically retired at age 5. I guess I am just showing my bitterness sorry for the Rant.

John,
    Sorry I never bred to "Zeke". I had his littermate "Ginger". I bred her to 3 different boys before having her spayed. I hated trying to run her and deal with heat cycles!!!!!!!!!!
    Mickey bred to Zeke.
    My philosophy is that the average Joe hunter should be able to purchase a quality dog for his family and the field from a well bred dog.
    Hate paying huge prices for a so so pedigree.
    By the way.........
    1morex: The most I myself paid for a dog was also a black male that was diagnosed with a bad hip at 7 months. I spent 2K.
    Then when I went back to the breeder's guarantee. They had this and that going on so I got screwed. Sold him for nickels to a great guy as a duck dog. So I feel your pain.
    Best advice is talk to your breeder.
    The most knowledgeable ones are the best. No fluff just the facts.
    You know dogs and will also know how to wade through the bull.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

I love my field bred golden, and I didn't pay the prices that you quoted earlier. It sounds like you know what you want, so just do your homework. The breed is fantastic.

BTW, that's my Sam in my avatar
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

Ok now that I have people who love and work with the breeds attention, what was it that made you steer toward Goldens and away from Labradors?

I had goldens and labs growing up. I have nothing against labs. When my last Labrador died, I let the family help me make a decision on our next breed. It was as simple as that. Once the decision was made, I did exactly what you are doing. I researched, and found a litter that I felt met my needs. Good luck with your search.
    Mioaks Southbound Sammy JH
    Leatherwood's Here's Your One Chance Fancy

"Luck is the residue of design"- Branch Rickey

I rescued mine and Im truely fortunate to have such a wonderful golden who has the heart and gusto to compete in hunt tests and is a good hunter yet lovable as they get, in the future I may consider another rescue or I have my eye on one that I wouldnt mind getting a pup from. Really for me I need a dog that fits my personality a little laid back, a little goofy, yet can get serious when I need to, so far goldens seem to fit the bill for me, has to be a field one though.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

As for me, back in 1979 my girfriend at the time bought us a little Golden bitch out of a litter in Kula Hawaii, thats "up country" Maui.I fell in love with that dog and the breed in general. Years later when newly married I moved to Montana one of the first things I did was find a local litter of Golden pups, I was fortunate to have gotten a very nice dog that despite being "back yard" bred, turned into a very nice field dog. Knowing what I know now I would have never bought a dog of uncertain liniage with no titles or health clearances, but in my case ignorance was bliss and I lucked out with a really nice dog that totally won us over to the breed.

It wasn't a Golden - Labrador thing, we just happened to start with a Golden and between their wonderful personality, looks and great ability in the field, never saw a need to try something else. To the OP, I firmly believe he couldn't go wrong with a Lab either, they also have great personalities, are great in the field and finding a good one is a little less expensive.

Joh

I was looking for something to buff my shoes with and ... never mind. I'm joking! Some of the nicest people I know actually own Goldens
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    I was looking for something to buff my shoes with and ... never mind. I'm joking! Some of the nicest people I know actually own Goldens
    Yabbut would you want your sister to marry one?

Trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Well, John, you blew it posting that photo. Can't use it for a cover!!! But, would you send me a copy of it anyway. Maybe I can find a home for it somewhere down the line. Thanks.

Glenda