The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiroshima VS. Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    In the past 18 months I have been to Tokyo Japan and Detroit MI.

I would not live in the city of Detroit or Pontiac or Dearborn for that matter, given a choice, I would live in Hiroshima, though I have only visited Canon HQ in the outskirts of Tokyo.

I "HATE" what has happened to Detroit. Certainly, but do you know where and how to spread the blame for its decline?

But obviously, you know more................... Why would me knowing the Japanese have social programs or knowing that Detroit's obsolete factories are replace by modern facilities in Michigan and in a multiplicity of other States indicate that I know anything other about Detroit than that the story you posted was inaccurate?

BTW---Who has governed Detroit for the last 50 years? Do you believe that Detroit's plight is exclusively a failure of politics and if so would that be at the Municipal, State or Federal level.
    The proof is in the pudding. What a curious analogy, but yes sometimes the ingredients of a pudding are too subtle to discern as single elements and just as in life, few things are entirely as simple as we might wish them to be.

But clearly, you know far more of what's going on than I, after all, you are a liberal.......my apologies. Is it an exclusively liberal trait to value truth over fiction? I think not and you do yourself and other non-liberals a disservice to suggest such a thing. Knowledge is not the preserve of one ideology or another but when information can be scrutinized and its veracity evaluated, how can the truth be rejected?

Oh, and I have been to Vancouver (Wizards of the Coast HQ's), though not recently, lovely city.
    Some call it San Francisco north.
    I wonder why??? I too have wondered at that comparison, I believe there is a symmetry between our undulating topographies and our shared importance as a deep sea port, which engenders such a compliment.

Sorry to take so long to reply I am working between bouts of hunt and peck typing.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Sorry to take so long to reply I am working between bouts of hunt and peck typing.
    Very nice mastery of the language, for better than I.

I think perhaps the comparison of Vancouver as the SanFrancisco of the north is something other than geography.

Tell me, what do you think led to the degradation of the once proud city of Detroit??

George Bush???

And my answer would be the city fathers.
    Poorly run and managed resulting in the pending bankruptcy.
    They can no longer afford to pay what is required of them.
    The biggest obstacle being the retired employees pensions.

Sorry I can't wax eloquent at your level.
    You are very good.
    But just because you use prettier words don't make your "feelings" fact.

Detroit is a rat hole, please enlighten me as to why????

BTW--I beleive we do have something in common, I prefer Monte Cristo #2's, I just got a box from the mother land!!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 12-04-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

Detroit is a rat hole, please enlighten me as to why????

Stan, I am not arguing for or against the livability of Detroit...I posted links to information to correct a couple of major errors in the story which you posted, I was aghast that the author encouraged his reader to further disseminate his mendacious offerings. I have observed the tidal wave of such factually incorrect disinformation which passes for political discourse here and on occasion I just happen to care about the harm I see it doing to constructive dialog as to cause me to wade in with some facts rather than my opinion.

My opinion on the cause of Detroit's plight is that in a plural, complex society, blame for failure and responsibility for success is shared amongst a host of parties. Each has their place in an interactive cascade of cause and effect so as to make a rush to judgement against one and not all a foolhardy venture.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Detroit, those of us from there call it Detoilet. It is indeed one of the finest examples of progressivism I have ever witnessed. Yes I seen it for myself. Once a proud working class city turned to ruin.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    A lot of us in other parts of the state are sick of it sucking up our tax dollars and wish Canada or Ohio would take it.....
    We know you wish Ohio would because Ohio sucks. Well thats just the Mich fan that I am.
    Home To

HRCH Bluesky's Rollin Thunder MH
    Bluesky's Hot Bunn's Ellie
    SHR Saddiehawkins of Summer Bird 1998-2011
    SHR Bluesky's Some like em Hot 2009-2010 Left too soon

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Stan, I am not arguing for or against the livability of Detroit...I posted links to information to correct a couple of major errors in the story which you posted, I was aghast that the author encouraged his reader to further disseminate his mendacious offerings. I have observed the tidal wave of such factually incorrect disinformation which passes for political discourse here and on occasion I just happen to care about the harm I see it doing to constructive dialog as to cause me to wade in with some facts rather than my opinion.

My opinion on the cause of Detroit's plight is that in a plural, complex society, blame for failure and responsibility for success is shared amongst a host of parties. Each has their place in an interactive cascade of cause and effect so as to make a rush to judgement against one and not all a foolhardy venture.
    Just curious, do you have a link for the November manufacturing report?
    Or hows about a link regarding vacant or abandoned land in Detroit being larger in acreage than the city of Paris France??

That couple with firsthand reports fron folks that live there paints a slightly different picture than what you "feel."

BTW--You glossed over the Monte Cristos, what's up wit dat?
    Last edited by road kill; 12-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Fro those who love to pin the demise of Detroit on Progressives aka democrats, there is a little fact you might be interested in. The beginning of Detroit's decline is generally ascribed to be the race riots which took place in 1967. The Democrats have occupied the Michigan house was occupied by George Romney, a republican, at that time. In fact there was a republican incumbent occupying the state house from 1963 -1982. Since 1963, when the new state constitution was passed, democrat governors served only 16 out of the 59 years. If something could have been done then certainly conservative principles could have been employed by republican governors to stop the slide. Instead, they diverted millions of dollars to the nefarious regimes of Mayor Coleman Young and his successors.
    Sarge

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Fro those who love to pin the demise of Detroit on Progressives aka democrats, there is a little fact you might be interested in. The beginning of Detroit's decline is generally ascribed to be the race riots which took place in 1967. The Democrats have occupied the Michigan house was occupied by George Romney, a republican, at that time. In fact there was a republican incumbent occupying the state house from 1963 -1982. Since 1963, when the new state constitution was passed, democrat governors served only 16 out of the 59 years. If something could have been done then certainly conservative principles could have been employed by republican governors to stop the slide. Instead, they diverted millions of dollars to the nefarious regimes of Mayor Coleman Young and his successors.
    So it IS Bush's fault???

Detroit councilwoman to Obama: We voted for you, now bail us out

Posted: Dec 05, 2012 6:00 AM CST
    Updated: Dec 05, 2012 7:39 AM CST

DETROIT (WJBK) -- The city of Detroit faces a major financial crisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city. (Click the video player to listen)

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson. "That's what you do."

Young served as Detroit's mayor for 20 years and served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city that some experts say could run out of money by the end of the year.

The federal government has bailed out cities in the past, however. In 1975, President Gerald Ford extended more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse.
    I don't understand, what's to bail out???
    Things are going so well there..............
    Last edited by road kill; 12-05-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Having been born and raised in Detroit, I can tell you that Government welfare programs had little to do with the decline of the city. There were a series of far more damaging social, political, and economic factors at work that caused the current conditions. For the author of the article to suggest welfare programs led to the decline only shows how little they actually know about Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    Having been born and raised in Detroit, I can tell you that Government welfare programs had little to do with the decline of the city. There were a series of far more damaging social, political, and economic factors at work that caused the current conditions. For the author of the article to suggest welfare programs led to the decline only shows how little they actually know about Detroit.
    Enlighten us, tell us the real story.......
    Stan b & Elvis