The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiroshima VS. Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Enlighten us, tell us the real story.......
    To delve into all the contributing issues would take far more time than I have today. However, the main factor is the loss of an economic base caused by the decline of the auto industry and other manufacturing. Most of the jobs in, and around Detroit, were in the auto industry, supported the auto industries, or were created as by-products of the auto industry. Many of the other manufacturing jobs were also out-sourced, and left Detroit. Surely, you don’t think those plants closed because the people of Detroit would rather be on welfare, and wouldn’t go to work. The jobs left, so there was no reason for the plants to be open.

Detroit had an industrial based economy. When the jobs left, people didn’t simply decide to go on welfare. The people left as well to look for employment elsewhere. The population of Detroit has declined from about 1.5 million in the 1970s (when manufacturing jobs started to leave) to a population of about 700k now. Detroit has lost about 25% of its population in the last 10 years.

With the loss of jobs, businesses, and population, came the loss of city revenues needed to run and support the city, so city services began to disappear, leading to further decline. Unfortunately, Detroit has not been able to attract enough new business to replace what it lost.

Like I said, there were many contributing factors to why this all happened, but welfare programs really wasn’t one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    A lot of us in other parts of the state are sick of it sucking up our tax dollars and wish Canada or Ohio would take it.....
    When I was a kid, I remember Detroit contributing the majority of tax dollars, and the rest of the state sucking them up. How quickly we forget.

“The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money,” the French philosopher and historian Alexis de Tocqueville once said. Time to take a lesson from the French, even if it is painful.

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    “The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money,” the French philosopher and historian Alexis de Tocqueville once said. Time to take a lesson from the French, even if it is painful.
    He was a very brilliant man.
    I have quoted him here before, to ridicule.

Good post!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    When I was a kid, I remember Detroit contributing the majority of tax dollars, and the rest of the state sucking them up. How quickly we forget.
    If I am not mistaken, that was the point of the thread, how things have changed in the last 67 years.
    Stan b & Elvis

If I am not mistaken, that was the point of the thread, how things have changed in the last 67 years.
    Actually, it appeared to me the point of the article was to blame the changes on Government welfare programs, and that is not what happened. You asked me for the real story, and I tried to provide some of it. I think what I presented is a more plausible explanation than blaming it on welfare programs.

Liberals ran Detroit.
    They killed it.
    There is no money to pay their bills.

Like Margeret Thatcher said, "It's a great idea, until you run out of other peoples money."

The nation is heading down the same road....................
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    A lot of us in other parts of the state are sick of it sucking up our tax dollars and wish Canada or Ohio would take it.....
    I don't know what part of the state your are from, but from your screen name, I'd guess the UP. I grew up in Michigan. I have lived around Detroit, up in Western Northern Michigan around Manistee, and I lived in the UP for six years while I went to Michigan Tech. One thing that always made an impression on me was the impression around the state that all those poor black people around Detroit were sucking up all the welfare and medicaid. But my impression was that there was just as much poverty around the rest of the state, it's just more concentrated and more noticeable around the urban areas. So, I googled poverty rates and Michigan, and guess what? The poverty rate is higher in many rural areas than it is in Wayne County.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_rural.html

So, maybe it's time to poke your head up and take a look around...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't know what part of the state your are from, but from your screen name, I'd guess the UP. I grew up in Michigan. I have lived around Detroit, up in Western Northern Michigan around Manistee, and I lived in the UP for six years while I went to Michigan Tech. One thing that always made an impression on me was the impression around the state that all those poor black people around Detroit were sucking up all the welfare and medicaid. But my impression was that there was just as much poverty around the rest of the state, it's just more concentrated and more noticeable around the urban areas. So, I googled poverty rates and Michigan, and guess what? The poverty rate is higher in many rural areas than it is in Wayne County.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...for_rural.html

So, maybe it's time to poke your head up and take a look around...
    So da yoopers destroyed Detroit??

That is rich!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Liberals ran Detroit.
    They killed it.
    There is no money to pay their bills.

Like Margeret Thatcher said, "It's a great idea, until you run out of other peoples money."

The nation is heading down the same road....................
    Liberals running Detroit did not cause the decline of the auto industry.
    Liberals running Detroit did not cause other manufacturing jobs to go overseas.
    Liberals running Detroit did not cause businesses and jobs to leave.
    Liberals running Detroit did not cause the decline in population.

Those are the things that really killed Detroit