RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Gunners Up Remote Launcher

33K views 205 replies 42 participants last post by  Cray Stephenson 
#1 ·
Heads up for anybody looking to purchase a new remote launcher. There is a new contender on the block.

Gunners Up ( www.gunnersup.com ) has just introduced it's first of many products for the retriever training enthusiast, the Gunners Up Remote Launcher. The Gunners Up Remote Launcher pound for pound does evrything the Zinger Winger does but at a fraction of the cost. The Gunners Up launcher sales for $275.00 almost $225.00 less than the Zinger Winger. This means you can buy multiple launchers without having to rob a bank to get it done!

We've been training with them here in Tulsa and they work like a champ! :D Check them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

OkieBirdBoy

#27 ·
Thanks Dave. I understand what you are saying about the pulley. It sounds like it's a pretty good launcher for the money. I'm thinking about getting a couple.

#28 ·
I just bought one and it arrived today. The first thing I did was set it up to check the pulley?s because of what you said. Mine work fine. It throws a pretty good bumper. Seems to be made well enough.

Joe Miano

#30 ·
Ive been using the gunners up winger for 4 months and have had no problems with any of the parts. I train 5 to 6 days a week and have used nearly every winger made at one time or another. I also own a zinger winger but prefer the gunners up over it just because it is so much easier to load. In my oppinion the gunners up folks have done a nice job of putting together a quality winger at an affordable price .

#31 ·
From what I'm reading - they do look like the best wingers for the money. I have ask LabMan to give me a quote on 3 with electronics.

#32 ·
I have 3 Gunners Up wingers and have had no problems whatsoever. I have a 4th that is on the way. I have not measured the throw exactly, but, with one end of the tubing on the lower hooks and the other on the upper hook (my usual set-up), I believe I am getting at least 25 yard, very high arc throws - even further if I hook both ends of the tubing on the lower hooks. I'm sure if I play around with the angle that I set the legs, I can achieve the advertised 40 yards with a duck. What I was not satisfied with were the Tritronics ProControl RL that I bought elsewhere. The advertised "duck" sound is more like an electronic hockey horn. Also, one would not always hold a charge. I had a friend who had just bought the Dogra electronics call me and play its "duck" sound over the phone. Now that is a duck!! :D Admittedly, it is only an attention getter and any sound could be used, but all my TT remotes are on their way back and Dogtras are on their way.

#33 ·
Forgive my stupid questions. I am serioiusly considering one of these, and I am looking for "electronics."

Is the thing ready "out of the box" to hook up "electronics"? That is, if i were to buy a TT 150 transmitter and receiver (forr eg, used from someone posting on this board), would I be ready to roll? Are there any other "parts" I would need?

What's the servo mechanism, and how does it work?

What's the solenoid mechanism, and how does it work?

thanks

#35 ·
potshot said:
Is the thing ready "out of the box" to hook up "electronics"? That is, if i were to buy a TT 150 transmitter and receiver (forr eg, used from someone posting on this board), would I be ready to roll? Are there any other "parts" I would need?

What's the servo mechanism, and how does it work?

What's the solenoid mechanism, and how does it work?

thanks
The winger comes assembled except for the plate with the solenoid. That is in a separate box on which the test date is written (they test before they ship). It is in a separate box to protect it. All you do is bolt the plate to the winger and they are ready to roll. If you are considering using Dogtra electronics, though, you need to tell Gunners Up that so they will include the mounting plate. None needed for Tri-tronics. I'm not sure I understand your question regarding the server and the solenoid. Are you asking who manufactured them, or simply what they do? They control the release trigger is all.

#36 ·
UPS just delivered my Gunners Up Launcher. I have it out of the box, and have already put the release on it (need to tighten it, too lazy to get the socket set out of the barn, but will at training time). Guys, this looks good! It looks well worth the money. I will use it tonight and tell ya what I think. I am much more impressed with it than the Lucyana Strongarm I have...looks much better!

I am lookin' forward to running marks this evening.

Cray

#38 ·
I like them. Very good Value! I've got a second one coming next week. Much safer than my experience with Strongarms. Whoever it was that thought the pulleys were cheap needs to see the pulleys on my strongarms. The pulleys on the Gunners Up are nice...much better than the plastic ones on my Strongarms.

The G.U. was very consistant in mark placement, it would throw a DFT about 30-35 yds and hit very close to the exact same spot each time. We put standard bumpers in it and were amazed at the height it threw them.

We also tested how hard it would be to manually release them. It was easy! Push the latch forward and the "L" bar would hit the bottom of your shoe. Pull your foot straight back and it release nicely.

I think that this product is a really good value!

#39 ·
OK, here is a safety question. I have NOT seen the set up but if operating manully, would it be safe for a young child to operate? (discharge) (6 years old) or is there a safety concern with someone getting popped by the rubber bands.

I realize electronics are available and may decide its a safer bet if she just pushes the button. Trying to find ways to get my ids involved early in the dawg games.

Thanks,

#40 ·
Kids and Wingers

KC Steve,

I admire you for wanting to get your kids involved with the retrieving game but would stongly advise against children using any brand of remote launcher. Launchers produce a tremendous amount of force and need to be treated as a serious training tool.

One advantage of using launchers is you don't have to have family members out in the field throwing for you. Which in my case always results in good intentions but bad throws and this always leads to arguments and someone gettng their feelings hurt. With the remote launchers evryone can stay back at the line, enjoy the dog work and enjoy the dog work. 8)

OkieBirdBoy

#41 ·
That is what my initial thought was but figured I would ask. the $300 price tag for the remote is MUCH cheaper than a trip to the hospital, Which is nothing compared to the pain of seeing one of my little ones hurting.

Thanks,

SS

#42 ·
Gunners Up

I posted about the pulleys and what I was saying is:
I have a tangelo tosser and when I attach the ends of the bungee cord to the legs the bungee rolls through the pulleys. With the gunners up winger when I apply tension to the rubber as I start to pull down to attach to the legs the pulley's stop turning and a I basically pull the rubber through without any pulley action. This stretches the hell out of the rubber on the o-ring side of the pulley and causes extensive strain on that side of the rubber tubing. I did receive a new set of four pulleys but they are the same as the ones on the winger. Instead of cutting off the O-ring and replacing the same pulley I will go buy my own pulleys and see if the problem goes away, if it does great if not I will learn to live with it. Minus the pulleys not rolling with tension applied to the tubing I do like the winger.
Dave.

#43 ·
2labs,

I'm with you. the pulleys are pretty low quality, and I noticed the differtial stretch immediately. I'm going to replace the pulleys with the same size ball bearing ones from my local farm and ranch supply store. The he** with the warranty. The rest of the unit is OK except for the release catch which seems a little on the light side.
I like the latex tubing, which in my experience, seems to store and release more energy than bungee cord.

Also I've had some problems with the TT procontrol recievers not holding a charge, particularly at low temps. They were replaced promptly by TT, but the warranty only applies from the original purchase date, not the date of replacement.

Hugh

G
#44 ·
I'm also having problems with the pulleys

I'm having the same exact problem with the pulleys and am awaiting a response from Gunners Up. For those that had similar problems and contacted Gunners Up, did they send you new pulleys that worked? I'm going to look around for pulleys tomorrow.

G
#45 ·
Got Feedback today from Richard at Gunners Up!

Didn't expect to hear from him over the Easter weekend, but. . .

This guy stands by his product and will do what it takes to do right by his customers. He's shipping off two new sets of pulleys and latex tubing to replace the ones prematurely worn by the "defective" pulleys. Can't be the great value of his product and his awesome customer service!

G
#47 ·
I did try oiling the pulleys but it did not help. You have to be careful because if you get any on the latex, it will eat through it: latex and petroleum products aren't a good mix.

If you have problems talk to or email Richard at Gunners Up. He stands by his products and will do right by the consumer. Also, I recommend you deal with Kevin Fitzgerald at Orion Dog Supply (www.oriondogsupply.com) I bought my launchers from him and he's been very helpful in assisting with the pulley and latex tubing issues as well.

#50 ·
Be careful....

We had one that the release arm keeps slipping out of the knotch on the trigger head....It goes off WHILE you are stretching the rubbers down! Make sure it fits in very well.I use the airluanch king electronics....Half the price of TT or Dogtra.....12 volts of power.The box sits on the ground....the power wire plugs right in...the antenna wire clips onto the winger frame,which turns the whole winger into a big antenna....no comparison. It holds MUCH more power,so theres no downtime for weak electronics. 380.00 gets you three rec,charger,transmitter that works four rec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.