The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Medical: Coughy 13 yr old

Default Medical: Coughy 13 yr old

I'm waiting to talk with my vet before taking her in but it will probably be so- in the meantime.
    Thoughts on a 13 yo BLF?? She has a throaty cough. Shes had it for some time, in fact vett'd her a couple years ago when it first presented but nothing was found or Dx. So recently past month or two , cough's a lot when she first gets up , raspy gaggy cough, sometimes pheghm comes up sometimes no.
    Lately its more often . I wonder about larangyl paralysis ,but thing is she doesnt tire out or have trouble breathing . Does the run/evening walk fine , doesnt tire easily or even hack during the walk. Does LP sometimes present with the cough but w/o the difficulty breathing?
    Whats involved with diagnostics for it? My vet listened to her heart and lungs last week when he was here for puppies, and did not detect any abnormalities there. X'ing fingers thats positive- I'm waiting for a call back from him to discuss before taking her in for a more thorough exam.
    Thanks for any knowledge on this one-
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Bear started hacking/coughing when he would get excited. Xrays showed a slightly enlarged heart, his lungs didnt look to good( vet called them old dog lungs) and he has LP on one side, The vet did a scope of his throat while he was under. His coughing has gotten worse, he coughs at night in his sleep, when he gets up, gets excited, and he can no longer even make it to the end of the street without coughing. I'm taking him in again next week since he is now coughing worse at night. He never seemed to get tired we just would not continue whatever he was doing because of the cough. He has been on theophylline , a very low dose since it causes anxiety ( which worsens the LP) My vet wants to try Prednisone but since he takes Rymadyl thats not possible. Since I lost Dusty to LP last year Im very worried about Bear. I talked to a surgeon about doing the surgery for LP but because of other health issues we are not sure it would be the best decision he is 12. Prayers sent keep us posted
    Last edited by gmhr1; 12-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Maybe reflux, if it happens when she gets up from lying down?
    Marlana Smith
    APR SHR TDK's Dusty Gunslinger JH - "Churchill"
    CPR Max's Black Diamond Girl Scout JH - "Scout"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Hacking, coughing, gagging, wretching in a 13 year old are all signs of laryngeal paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Hacking, coughing, gagging, wretching in a 13 year old are all signs of laryngeal paralysis
    My last one had this very thing.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    We have a 13y/o CLF with LP and earlier this year our 13.5y/o CLM was diagnosed with mega-esophagus which started with similar coughing, hacking and wretching.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Banned

Any updates Billie?

WRL

As EdA says, Laryngeal paralysis is pretty common in older Labradors, I've seen it a few time and have got an 11 yr boy that's just starting to show the signs
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Someone told me there is a lazer surgery for LP but I have not been able to find a vet that could do it on the west coast.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )