The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Carrying by the wing

Default Carrying by the wing

I have a young dog that retrieved doves perfect, now that it's duck season, she wants to carry them buy the wing. Any advice would be nice!

When he brings them to hand, say, "Good boy," and pat him on the head.

By the way, as he gets more experienced, he'll carry them by the body.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX (no more cause the RV park we stayed in said no to outside dogs.

At our house and blinds it is Atta Girl!!!
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

How young is young? If under 8-10 months, this may be a mouth size challenge. My youngster only recently was able to carry properly at 10 months or so. If you've FF'd the dog and she IS big enough to hold the birds, may want to revisit FF with ducks. Otherwise, time is likely to cure this.

On the bright side, any chomping issues will NOT render the bird "unfit for the table"!

She is 16 months, she was FF but she was extremely hard to train compared to my older dog, once I get some birds I may try going through it again with them thanks

My pup did the same thing from 10-18 months. She's 24 months now and its pretty much disappeared on it's own. Seems like it was puppy play she just grew out of on her own.

With young dogs in training I will remove the heads and wings from training bird, then there is only 1 way to carry it...
    Gavin B.

at my first training day with my pro friend, my dog was picking up the bird funny. one of his clients said get your dog and have her watch. He got his FC dog and had him pick up a bird several times in front of her. She watched, then picked it up the same way.