The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Young noisy fire breathing dog

Send him to me Randy. I'll see what I can do.
    One thing I;ve done, bt not heard anyone mention:
    A bark collar on during down time, so he;s not getting away with noise outside of training.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Certainly this is not a Golden Retriever noisy pup

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    I left it go as long as i thought i could still fix it ..fine line when to fix and not fix with a baby dog...older dogs are lots easier but puppy brains work differently.... Randy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

Always name fire breathing puppies something calm..... like sleepy. Or serenity or quiet. Consider changing their names now

Ruckus and chaos regards
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post
    Always name fire breathing puppies something calm..... like sleepy. Or serenity or quiet. Consider changing their names now

Ruckus and chaos regards
    Good answer! Maybe he'll grow into his NEW CALMER name.

WRL

What is she noisy and crazy about ?
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

The noise issue is pretty much gone, we worked directly on it for 5 days and 95% gone, the rest will be cleaned up down the road after dog is farther along in basics. Crazy and noisy about retrieving of course was the issue. Pup was pretty wild from the start about retrieving. I thought maybe you guys could tell me some of the things you would do if you had/have issues with your dogs. He's not going to be sold so classifieds are out, real live and true scenario here if you want to compare notes be back later..Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt View Post
    This was posted some time ago. I bookmarked it, goodluck!!!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ion-My-Version
    Randy was one of the main contributers to that piece, as noted in the bibliography.
    Thanks again Randy!

As far as the answer not letting it happen in the first place is really unfair.
    How are we to know if we don't know!

Following this thread closely, I'm sure Randy has a plan...........
    Stan b & Elvis

Randy,

First of all thanks so much for your input into this forum. Too many people answer with 'send 'em to a pro' or 'sell the dog'. These high strung dogs are like Thoroughbred race horses. People are expecting them to walk, trot and canter when all they want to do is RUN! There is a way to train them to be very good hunting and trialing dogs, but it must start very early.

I left it go as long as i thought i could still fix it ..fine line when to fix and not fix with a baby dog...older dogs are lots easier but puppy brains work differently.... Randy
    I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm not sure I totally agree with this line of thought. It is easy to see which pups are driven to retrieve already. They don't need to be amped up constantly with retrieving. More obedience for them. BALANCE

The noise issue is pretty much gone, we worked directly on it for 5 days and 95% gone, the rest will be cleaned up down the road after dog is farther along in basics. Crazy and noisy about retrieving of course was the issue. Pup was pretty wild from the start about retrieving. I thought maybe you guys could tell me some of the things you would do if you had/have issues with your dogs. He's not going to be sold so classifieds are out, real live and true scenario here if you want to compare notes be back later..Randy
    It would be really great if you let everyone know what his typical day was like before and then what you did for the past five days step by step.

My guess would be a few days of obedience only. Then start mixing in some marks thrown and only occasional ones retrieved when behavior warrants. Then probably working along side another dog or two taking turns with obedience and marking.

Now finally what is your plan for his typical workday now compared to before. Hopefully this will help all of those who have these high drive pups out there.

Thanks.

I use lots of OB in the presents of marks. Leave the stick and collar out of it. High and tight lead with heeling and sitting while marks are going off. Let the dog see 20+ marks during a week and retrieve maybe 1 or 2. It also helps if you dog associates something with getting to retrieve... like the beep or duck call on winger electronics. I will set up all my wingers push-pull the dog to the one I want then hit the duck call on it, if he is calm through the call, pop the mark. Even if he is calm as the mark comes out keep the lead tight and heel/sit drill away from the mat. Do this many times. The only time you want your dog excited for a mark is when you cut him loose to get it.

This is my version, very interested to hear Randy's.
    Gavin B.

I have/had the same type pup. Last spring I went to a Lardy Seminar as an owner/handler primarily for line manners/noise. I can say at least for that seminar, my dog became the poster child of bad line manners. She had a huge problem with whining and even barking in the holding blind, on the way to the mat and while the birds were going down. Mike tried several things on the dog to get a handle on the noise part (she also had a creeping problem) and finally hit upon putting a bumper in her mouth from the truck all the way to being released from the mat. They can't bark or even whine very much with the bumper in the mouth. I continued that for a LONG time after the seminar until I think the dog forgot about making noise. A year later I rarely have a noise issue and if I do, a simple quiet and a nic from the collar quiets her right down. Mike also solved the creeping problem too...at a field trial last summer one of the judges mentioned to me that my dog was one of the best mannered at the trial. Thank you very much Mike Lardy!
    Last edited by wetdog; 12-05-2012 at 07:19 AM.