The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Young noisy fire breathing dog

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    PM sent re my solution.
    Please try and answer on the board to help others.

I wanted to post this.
    There is no 1 easy fix for a true Hi-Roller.

You have to change everything and have patience and persistance.
    They do what we teach them to do.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    I left it go as long as i thought i could still fix it ..fine line when to fix and not fix with a baby dog...older dogs are lots easier but puppy brains work differently.... Randy
    I assumed that much but what I was really asking was WHY? Puppies work differently, of course. BUT why can't it be addressed early on? or... why shouldn't it be?
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post

As far as the answer not letting it happen in the first place is really unfair.
    Not sure what you mean Stan.

I have a yapper of a puppy myself, maybe not to the extent of Randy's but she is pretty high drive. I have, from the very beginning withheld any and all rewards, including retrieves, affection and food until she was absolutely quiet, still and focused in the sit position. I have never punished noise. I simply included silence as part of the behavior required to earn any kind of reward.

This goes against the "let them get wild about retrieving for the first 6 months" theory commonly employed by folks. I don't know if that's what Randy has done, which is why I asked for his reasoning over letting the behavior slip. My dog began collar conditioning at 5 months and began FF promptly at 6 months.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna get out of this dog. She was excessively noisy in the crate early on and would bark out of frustration all throughout her early obedience. She is totally quiet, focused and progressing through basics nicely now.

I may get shredded by everyone (including Randy) for doing it this way, but we'll see where we end up.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 12-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

I have a yapper of a puppy myself, maybe not to the extent of Randy's but she is pretty high drive. I have, from the very beginning withheld any and all rewards, including retrieves, affection and food until she was absolutely quiet, still and focused in the sit position. I have never punished noise. I simply included silence as part of the behavior required to earn any kind of reward.

This goes against the "let them get wild about retrieving for the first 6 months" theory commonly employed by folks. I don't know if that's what Randy has done, which is why I asked for his reasoning over letting the behavior slip. My dog began collar conditioning at 5 months and began FF promptly at 6 months.

I honestly don't know what I'm gonna get out of this dog. She was excessively noisy in the crate early on and would bark out of frustration all throughout her early obedience. She is totally quiet, focused and progressing through basics nicely now.

I may get shredded by everyone (including Randy) for doing it this way, but we'll see where we end up.
    No, you won't get shredded.

Did you mark the quiet behaviot?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I've noticed that trying to steady a dog up early can bring about some noise issues. I've had it happen with my shaq and Ali pups. Backed off the early steady work with both and eased back into it again a couple of months later. No issues at all since. Anyone else seen this?

Sounds like a solid approach to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    No, you won't get shredded.

Did you mark the quiet behaviot?
    Yes, I mark before every reward.
    Darrin Greene

Very true that most dogs are noisy for different reasons and if there was a step by step method we wouldn't have noisy dogs anymore.

Darrin........I choose to side with caution with youngsters, they can be forgiving BUT they also remember things you will forget down the road. I've seen people do some crazy things with pups and older dogs to fix noise issues, and guess what??? the dog looks like they were abused a few weeks later when you see them again. Right or wrong I watched the dog come in for training( day training) and watched him get higher and higher BUT was pretty sure it was still fixable. I asked how the basics were progressing and when I felt it was time to deal with the issue we did.I've seen people who are to strict with pups and transition dogs and they don't usually bounce back very well...I like a dog who likes to run hard on blinds and marks with good attitudes...to be continued
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

I watched the puppy come in for training 4 to 5 days a week for months, hardest part was not really knowing if the basics were solid but was 99% sure they were...
    I watched the owners get yanked to the line for marks...(pup is running the show)
    I watched the dog get pulled off the line back to the truck..(pup is to intense to be taught?)
    I heard the dog barking in the truck when the owner would get another one of their dogs out to work..(intensity or disobedient towards owners??)
    I watched the dog airing away from the line on a rope while other dogs are working...(pup didn't care one bit about the other dogs working at that time)
    My attitude towards the pup prior to 6 months was that he was crazy to retrieve but I was not willing to do anything about it yet. Life for him was retrieving...retrieving..retrieving...he was the man to say the least! to be continued
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"