The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Young noisy fire breathing dog

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLandR View Post
    Verbal praise or clicker? I, too, like your approach.
    It's easier to let the guy I got it from explain it.

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=529

and here's am example of what it can get you with the right dog

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=701

The second video is absolutely phenomenal IMHO.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post

Darrin........I choose to side with caution with youngsters, they can be forgiving BUT they also remember things you will forget down the road.
    Yes, that was one of the first things I learned when I was bringing Ozzy through the program. He came out with a great attitude running hard as a result. Too hard for the newbie handler, as you witnessed a few times. Now after seeing a load of dogs now trained by a bunch of people, I know you guys are absolutely right about it.

Hopefully I have this formula correct with me new girl. She seems like she has tons of potential and I don't want to squander it.

Looking forward to more of your insight on this one you're working with.
    Darrin Greene

My answer is you and Sammy need to get chessies and then let your wife train them. She's a good handler.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Noise got to be worse so as the owner was taking the pup thru the program all marks for a period of time were surprise marks..meaning as the dog and owner came around the side of the truck towards the line as soon as the dog saw the thrower they threw the bumper(dog doesn't have time to anticipate the retrieve)
    Noise went away when we did that...(took his mind out of the trained response, see bumper make noise)
    If the dog had a genetic noise problem he would have barked anytime he was sent to retrieve or as soon as he saw the gunner but he didn't, so I went back to the original thought that the pup was running the show which is a real easy fix..to be continued...
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Noise got to be worse so as the owner was taking the pup thru the program all marks for a period of time were surprise marks..meaning as the dog and owner came around the side of the truck towards the line as soon as the dog saw the thrower they threw the bumper(dog doesn't have time to anticipate the retrieve)
    Noise went away when we did that...(took his mind out of the trained response, see bumper make noise)
    If the dog had a genetic noise problem he would have barked anytime he was sent to retrieve or as soon as he saw the gunner but he didn't, so I went back to the original thought that the pup was running the show which is a real easy fix..to be continued...
    Great point, Randy! many people don't even stop to analyze noise like this....
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Interesting thread. I want more!!!!

I agree with Darrin, absolutely nothing if there is noise-a small whine counts as noise. If I can hear it and it came from his mouth, everything stops and we go back to square one of whatever we were dealing with.

I had a lot of fun with this around my property when he was a teenager-he would give me this horrible, loud bark to get me to hurry up and I would instantly turn around and go inside shutting the door in his face. I still do it in regards to my back yard or gates to pastures etc, if he's behind a gate and I start walking towards it-if he barks, I turn and go the other direction. Usually by the third repetition, he is quiet even if the others are barking. Just cracks me up. It's way too late to stop my shelties from barking, and they don't do field work anyway-but that little lab better be quiet or he's not getting ANYTHING from me.

You guys need to get Goldens - end of story!!!

signed,
    Helpy Helperson

If the dog had genetic noise problem he would have barked anytime he was sent to retrieve or as soon as he saw the gunner but he didn't, so I went back to the original thought that the pup was running the show which is a real easy fix..to be continued...

Post# 1: " I bought into a litter .....knowing that some would have noise issues"

Randy,

Based on your above statements is this pup "genetically noisy" or "just noisy"????

You state that you thought you may have problems with noise, based on the lineage.

Then when you find that you have noise and do a diagnoses. You find it is NOT do to lineage.

Was it do to training or lack of? Or technics?

This is NOT a wise arz$ question.

I have a pup (7 mos.) that is the most vocal pup I have ever owned (I've owned dozens). However she is vocal everywhere EXCEPT when working.

Her pedigree "suggests" (Cosmo) that she maybe somewhat vocal.

Thank you, Randy
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

RND there were 8 in the litter and I get to see 5 almost everyday of my life...interesting how the 2 males with me full time act alike and the 2 females that I actually own act alike BUT the boys and girls are worlds apart. The one other male(on this thread) is totally different than all the rest so far. The pups are all crazy to retrieve but sensitive, combination I don't get to see alot. The hardest dogs I ever had to fix for noise were Runnin With The Devil and Chavez dogs..WOW WOW WOW..The overall approach was a combination of watching the littermates......more to come
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"