The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Young noisy fire breathing dog

........"Running With The Devil lines, tough tough dogs. If you have one of those dogs high standards are a must, BUT when you get them repaired they're a beautiful sight to watch and to run..."

I'll say....phenomenal animals..takes an especially patient, calm, high standard maintaining handler/trainer so they run...and keep running and delivering.

Great thread...

Judy

Edit...Earl Dillow always has something of substance to post. Always reap some good stuff from a good read.
    Last edited by Judy Chute; 12-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec CDX MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

[QUOTE=Randy Bohn;1042278]I should clarify also that the puppy fix program is alot different than the older dog program, we call it the 12 step program here and each step must be done 100% before moving on to the next step.QUOTE]

Randy, Would you mind posting your methods for dealing with an older dog with noise issues?

I have a 4 yr. old springer that explodes if he sees another dog making a retrieve. I've had a little success by putting both of my dogs at heel and only throwing the bumper if the noisy boy's quiet. As long as he can go first, he's quiet for just that one toss. If the other dog goes for the next toss, the noise is back.

I'm an amateur and this is the second dog I've ever trained. The first one was never noisy. To correct him I tried everything from grabbing his muzzle, bark collar, spraying him in the face with water, putting him back in the truck, etc. None of those things worked. I'm so glad to have your posts on this to help me. Even if I never get this dog's noise under control, I have the proper way to nip it in the bud so it doesn't get to this point on any pups down the road.

Thank you so much!

JAM, sorry but if i wrote the 12 step process down here it would take pages and pages, hours and hours..really it would. 12 steps of getting a dog that's older to be quiet is harder because don't look at the dog as a 4 yr. old dog look at his age as an adult somewhere around the age of 28 years of age? Is a 7 yr. old child easier to change behavior on or a 28 yr. old adult?? older they get the harder it is...but it can be done...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohn View Post
    JAM, sorry but if i wrote the 12 step process down here it would take pages and pages, hours and hours..really it would. 12 steps of getting a dog that's older to be quiet is harder because don't look at the dog as a 4 yr. old dog look at his age as an adult somewhere around the age of 28 years of age? Is a 7 yr. old child easier to change behavior on or a 28 yr. old adult?? older they get the harder it is...but it can be done...Randy
    Sure. I understand.

Do you think if I use the puppy steps you've posted I could turn him around?

Thanks again!

JAM, give it a shot, competing dogs aside of each other is always a challenge...
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"

Now THIS would be a seminar worth attending. Nothing but line manners/noise issues. How to keep them from getting started and how to fix them if they have....

This has been a great post with lots of valuable information and things to think about. Randy, thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    This has been a great post with lots of valuable information and things to think about. Randy, thanks for sharing your wisdom!
    Randy I have such a dog and have held him to the high standards since day one. It really wasn't what I bargained for when I picked up this pedigree. Figure he will make a better trainer out of me. I keep your notes in my daily training log and reach for them when I begin to lose it. Thank you so very much for the inspiration to keep at it.

I had a golden that could bark with the best of them.
    Mean what you say, say what you mean, and by all means stand
    behind what you say. A man is only as good as his word.
    www.sslabradors.com

I brought forward this thread. I read Randy's info which is excellent. Thanks Randy! My pup did his first flyer today at 8 months. After he left the line, he couldn't contain himself and let out a yippie yip! So I turned to this thread and read it over again. Great information here folks. IMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray