RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Badgers losing their coach to Arkansas??? GDG

12K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  B Giese 
#1 ·
Wow,
Money drives all.................
Geez I only make 2.5Million coaching in Wis.
I can make 4mil. in Ark.
This IS a serious question................
Where does the schools get this kind of money to pay that?
Sorry a rant.
A Rosebowl bid and he probably won't be there to coach.
Sue

#6 ·
Bon if he has all this $, then why doesnt he buy himself one heck of a good football mind to be the GM of the 'Boys?

#3 · (Edited)
Think again bon. Drive down to your local Wally World and donate more money to us. The Walton's aka Walmart family are all huge donors to Fayetteville and have like 5 buildings, halls, etc named after them. (bentonville headquarters 10 minutes away) Tyson chicken? Yea that too (springdale headquarters 10 mins away) riceland rice? yep in stuttgart. Jerry jones donates millions. And is probably 5-10th largest donor.

And we are only paying 3.2 it only took couple hundred thousand to lure him to the best conference and best facilities (see donor list if you dispute this. Our new facilities will be finished this year with more upgrades to come) in America. Cost of living is 30% lower in Fayetteville vs Madison. (Report)

oh and i hear he likes duck hunting. we all know arkansas is the capital of duck hunting.

#4 · (Edited)
I wish Arkansas the best, but the reality is that it's just not a place where anyone will win consistently. Frankly, it hasn't been since Broyles was coach. It's been 20 years since they joined the SEC and they have never won a Championship. The fan base still thinks they are a top tier program, and they are not even close. Don't mean to be blunt, but it's the truth.

Texas A&M, essentially a Big 12 team, walked into the SEC this year with a 1st year coach and a RS Freshman quarterback and came real real close to running the table. Why? It's the recruiting base. And it's only gonna get better for A&M.

Arkansas is a nice state and all that, but they just don't have enough talent in the state to compete with the other SEC teams in recruiting. And they have not shown they can really attract the talent out of the deep football states. When they were a member of the old Southwest Conference, they were able to pull a lot of recruits out of Texas due to all the exposure they had in Texas throughout the season.

There is not a HS kid alive that thinks of Arkansas as a dominant program.

#7 ·
holtz? hatfield? petrino? i think the latter proved you could win at arkansas in modern era. what was texas a&m's record against arkansas in southwest classic before they joined SEC? look at cam newton and auburn thats a&ms future. johnny football is a stud no doubt but after next year hes gone (pro) then what?

if you are naive to believe stars and recruting ranking means anything then shame on you. Utexas has more 5* and 4* than anyone and cant do jack squat. its all about evaluating talent and applying it to your system. petrino never had a top 25 recruiting class but yet won 21 games in 2 years with his recruits because he could coach them up and see hidden talent instead of "stars".

bielema did same thing his recruiting ranking averaged 36th and still went to 3 straight rose bowls with multiple double digit win seasons.

#5 ·
Geez I only make 2.5Million coaching in Wis.
I can make 4mil. in Ark.
Why, his old B1G buddies Saban and Miles would've probably upped the ante out of their own pockets just to get him to Fayetteville. Can you say Hogs to slaughter into bratwurst? - try SEC chop-Soooey.

Malzahn another Arkansan of the hokey-pokey offense and Bielema of the beatdowns of little sisters of the poor and hardly anybody else with half a football pulse on the national level. Man, life in the SEC West just got a whole lot better for them at the top. And that was without even reminding the Arky faithful of Bielema's famous righteousness over what he considered a recruiting affront from Urban Meyer: “We at the Big Ten don’t want to be like the SEC - in any way, shape or form.”

Welcome, Bret, pretty confident you won't be like some of us in any way shape or form in the win-loss column.

And maybe he's Jerry's college choice as Cowboys' coach in waiting, bon - looks like a fitting successor to the last I don't know how many they've gone through.

MG

#9 ·
Not a huge Bielema fan......Sure he went to 3 straight Rose bowls but hasn't won one yet. Think he was sorta lucky and followed on Barry Alvarez's coat tails. Haven't been impressed with his coaching - not sad that he is leaving! Feel for the seniors who will play their last games at the Rose Bowl now that this has happened.

#10 ·
happens every year at handful of schools. nothing new. these guys are men they can deal with it. if you feel bad for anyone feel bad for arkansas state. 1 head coach bolts for ole miss after best season in school history next year head coach bolts for auburn after conference title

heck feel bad for seniors at arkansas petrino flubbed up their whole year and they were legitimate sec west contenders with him. with a clown for a coach calling things cant even get to a bowl

#22 · (Edited)
We'll see how long you think that.

Bielema is a poor game manager.
Some coaches win the "BIG" game.
Bielima loses the "little" games and the BIG games.
(0-3 in the Grandaddy of them all)
He is not well received by alumni for the losses to nobody teams that cost WI dearly.

#15 ·
holtz? hatfield? petrino? i think the latter proved you could win at arkansas in modern era. what was texas a&m's record against arkansas in southwest classic before they joined SEC? look at cam newton and auburn thats a&ms future. johnny football is a stud no doubt but after next year hes gone (pro) then what?.
Repeat after me....Arkansas has not one a conference championship in over 20 years. The reality is that puts Arkansas in the same list as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Try to slam Texas, A&M or whoever you want. But they each have some skins on the wall in the past 20 years. Just sayin'.

#17 ·
the sec has won 9 of 15 (im assuming alabama is going to clobber notre dame like most will agree) bcs championships. so by saying we havent won sec just means we havent won a national championship (in bcs era). tons of other schools havent either. we have been to sec championship 3 times. 3x more any team you mentioned (ms state had 1) right up there with auburn. we are not a national championship contender year in year out (yet) but we are competitive and cyclical on winning west. the best team in any conference would be mediocre at best in sec. you may say well look at a&m well without mack brown foolishly thinking manziel should be a safety and causing him to commit to a&m theyd be right alongside missouri

comparing big 12 championships to sec championships is foolish.

if i were to rank sec schools on average elite-ness itd be

teir 1
bama
florida
lsu
georgia
teir 2
arkansas
tennessee
auburn
south carolina
a&m
teir 3
ole miss
mississippi state
missouri
teir 3b
vandy
kentucky

#19 ·
..television revenues and wealthy alumni...says hubby. I am staying out of it!!! LOL

#20 ·
The fact is that Texas A&M was a mediocre team in the Big 12 for the past 5+ years. So bad they fired their coach. So a mediocre Big 12 team came in, should have beat both Florida and LSU, and beat the big boy Alabama.

SEC has great football, no one will argue that.

All I'm saying is Arkansas has been and will continue to be a tough place for a coach to win.

You can attack Texas all you want, but Mack Brown won a National Championship and played for another in the past 10 years.

Repeat. Arkansas has not won a conference championship in 23 years.

#26 · (Edited)
Should have beat the gayturds & LSU? You do realize there is football past the 1st Quarter, right? Sheesh, they did nothing after the 2nd drive of the game against LSU until The Mustang Package & personal fouls gave up a cheap TD @ the end. LSU's D DOMINATED that game. Period. The gayturds' D DOMINATED in The 2nd Half. Period.

#21 ·
I do wish all these coaching changes would be announce AFTER the bowl games, its not fair to the kids that played their guts out for the coach to be abandoned before the big dance, its also not fair to the Bowl selection committee that extended the invitation, the Rose Bowl game suddenly became very uninteresting

#25 · (Edited)
"On Wisconsin"!!!

THE TIME TO "MOVE FORWARD".
Time to RALLY behind Coach Alvarez, the Coaching Staff and THE TEAM.
It is what it is. Not the time, place or choice to "sit in the cat bird seat"
and whine ... BE A BADGER NOT A B------!!

The Nebraska Win was a Coach - Team Effort; Great Innovation; Mind over
Matter.

Bring on Stanford - "GO BADGERS"!!!

Bill Connor

#27 ·
THE TIME TO "MOVE FORWARD".
Time to RALLY behind Coach Alvarez, the Coaching Staff and THE TEAM.
It is what it is. Not the time, place or choice to "sit in the cat bird seat"
and whine ... BE A BADGER NOT A B------!!

The Nebraska Win was a Coach - Team Effort; Great Innovation; Mind over
Matter.

Bring on Stanford - "GO BADGERS"!!!

Bill Connor
Uhhhhh, if we can't discuss Bielima leaving WI the day after he did it, when then would be a good time??:confused:

#39 · (Edited)
"On Wisconsin"!!!

Marvin, Thanks for your Post #34.
With due respect to all the fine U. Washington Coaches, Players and Bowl
Games ...
The 1959 Rose Bow, Iowa defeated the Golden Bears 38-12.
The 1963 Rose Bowl, first Bowl # 1 (SC) v. #2 (WI) SC won 42-37.
That game has been called ... "Game of the Century" ... "Greatest Bowl
Game ever". Pete Breatherd (SC QB) & Ron Vander Kelen (WI QB) both named
"Player of the Game". Down 42-14 in the 4th Quarter, Vander Kelen handled
several drives to score 23 unanswered points.

RE post #31 - "Stanford will run the Badgers out of Pasadena" ...
THAT'S NOT YET A FACT. You all will know better late 1-1-13 when an
accurate post morteum is available.

Bill Connor

#40 · (Edited)
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel ...
A.D. Alvarez will oversee the Wisconsin team in the interim and might coach against Stanford in the Rose Bowl. Alvarez went 3-0 in the R.B. in 16
seasons as head coach of the Badgers.

Two sources close to the program said Alvarez has a short list ...
at the top is Paul Chryst previous OC. now at Pittsburgh. An option
would be to promote from current asst. coaches, Partridge or Chris
Ash ...

The clock is ticking ... GO BADGERS!!

Bill Connor

#41 ·
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel ...
A.D. Alvarez will oversee the Wisconsin team in the interim and might coach against
Give Barry Alvarez 30 days to prepare and he will have the Badgers ready to go....all of Bielema's staff is still on the payroll and may be coaching for jobs

#45 ·
So true.....even the second time around! ;-)

#49 ·
I am disappointed he is leaving. The program was going down and my Alma Mater is going up due to their new coach. It was always fun to point out to my UW Madtown wife the ridiculous game management and how he would run up the score in games. He even refused to take a knee with one minute left in the first half in the Big 10 Championship game. I don't know who should be more embarrassed about that game, the Big 10 or Nebraska.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.