The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Default British Labs / No Force????

Below is an article I found in Gun Dog magazine. I would like everyones thoughts on British Labs and British training methods that apparently "do not use force"?

Gun Dog Article:

There’s a new movement making British Style Field Trials popular again, along with the British strain of Labrador retriever. These Labs are largely born with the behavior of delivering retrieved objects to hand, making it unnecessary to force-fetch them. They are also bred to be calm companions as well as peak performers in the field, according to Robert Milner, who breeds British Labs at Duckhill Kennel. And from what I saw of his 5-week-old puppies to 5-year-old adults, it’s absolutely true.

The big attraction to these trials and British training methods, for me, was the lack of force training. No force to pile, force to water, force anything. For dogs bred to be highly trainable and good at hunting, like my golden, this philosophy says it’s not necessary to use force. It’s very believable after watching several British-trained dogs complete 175-yard blind retrieves through walls of 5-foot tall brush and woods, guided by whistle and hand signals, then stand at heel, steady as a rock, while they watch another dog work.
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Oh oh another deviation from the norm. "HAPPY" will not like this.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Hate it if you want, but from what I have seen and read the British Labs and British training methods movement is gaining steam and not going away.
    I'm interested!

Don't get me wrong, I am interested as well. I have seen some british labs at HRC events, but I wasn't overly impressed, (in the labs defense, it was more of a handler issue with me).
    I do know a Trainer that has breed american and british labs, and the result is amazing! As far as the "No Force" thing, well I will never be sold on that idea.
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

To each his own
    Bert Rodgers

So what are British Labs? And all our field dogs here in the US are breed to retrieve without force aren't they? This topic is redicules and I got sucked in.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Sorry,I disagree with you.....this post is NOT ridiculous, too much force is used on the dogs in U.S. and Canada.
    Take a good look at the history of field trials and the origin of same.
    Not a deviation from the norm either.....it IS the norm not use force, but not eliminating sensible punishment.

[QUOTE=Jonronamo;1040825]it was more of a handler issue with me).

I noticed a handler issue also. The British trainers have such bad teeth the dogs are having a hard time understanding them.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    Sorry,I disagree with you.....this post is NOT ridiculous, too much force is used on the dogs in U.S. and Canada.
    Take a good look at the history of field trials and the origin of same.
    Not a deviation from the norm either.....it IS the norm not use force, but not eliminating sensible punishment.
    Yawning widely and waiting for another protracted flogging of a dead horse. How many pages this time?

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Good one Evan,gets lonesome at the top doesn't it?.....another typical British bashing party.