The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Video Camera / Which one

Default Video Camera / Which one

Looking to buy a video cam-corder for video taping Training and field trials. I looked at the go pro series but no zoom. I have even seen guys using their I-pad, don't need a great zoom but I would like to see the dog in the general area. you know the game probably out to 400yds. We train all year long in Michigan except for a month down south so cold weather is a real problem. Oh yea did I say I don't want to break the bank. Any ideas?????

Big Gunner
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

How well do you want to do this? I'm not inferring a $3500 pro rig. But, if you want to shoot nice HD digital video, have a good zoom with good optics, and spend $250-300 look for a Canon Vixia; nearly any model. If you want to get more specific let me know. Vixia is a ton of bang for the buck, and much more camera than they look like.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-SX40. It does pretty good but is a few years old now. There probably is a better model on the market now. You have probably seen some of my videos. So, you can see the quality it produces. At the time I think it was around $400.
    It has a 60x optical zoom but doesn't take any lens filters which would be nice.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 12-31-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Ive been using Sony for many years in a semi-professional capacity and have been really happy with them. I will say that mine have always been in the over $1000.00 category though.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I found the receipt for my Sony Handycam SX-40. It was only $253. I got it in May 2009.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I've coordinated all of our high school football videos for 20 yrs, as well as doing all of the purchasing of video equipment. We've used Sony and Canon with great success. Cameras from $300-$3500. Everything from VHS to miniDVs to HD. I have also done video work for the Rorem Clinics as well as Aycock-Farmer clinics. I can tell you that both Sony & Canon make a couple of cameras under $400 that will serve you very well. You actually don't need an incredibly fast/powerful zoom either. You're really not gonna do too much drastic zoom work due to a need to see the whole picture. Just MHO.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big gunner View Post
    Looking to buy a video cam-corder for video taping Training and field trials. I looked at the go pro series but no zoom. I have even seen guys using their I-pad, don't need a great zoom but I would like to see the dog in the general area. you know the game probably out to 400yds. We train all year long in Michigan except for a month down south so cold weather is a real problem. Oh yea did I say I don't want to break the bank. Any ideas?????

Big Gunner

I am using my second Flip Video camera ($99) but they don't make them any longer. Love it because you can put in your pocket and simple to use if you hand it off to others. Here is a video that i shot from horse back at FT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEHJdmAlHEY Alot of agility folks use JVC Everio with great zoom I searched on amazon for less than $200. I like Image stabilization. Some of GO Pro videos are amazing quality.
    -Martha Veatch

Lab crew from KY Breeze and Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
    I am using my second Flip Video camera ($99) but they don't make them any longer. Love it because you can put in your pocket and simple to use if you hand it off to others. Here is a video that i shot from horse back at FT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEHJdmAlHEY Alot of agility folks use JVC Everio with great zoom I searched on amazon for less than $200. I like Image stabilization. Some of GO Pro videos are amazing quality.
    I use a Flip to video myself handling. I mount it to a plastic fence post. I recently mounted an Iphone case to a fencepost to use it for the same thing. The quality is not as good, but the resulting files are much smaller and easier to share.

You can get a decent camera app for the iphone that zooms, though it is not nearly as good as a decent camera with optical zoom.

I have a canon XL-1S.. Its overkill but I video tape my deer hunts. Ive had it for a few years. Its a pro grade camera.
    Wayne Beck

RIP Moose 2/6/00-1/21/10
    Bull's Harley Road Hog 5/1/10-(in training)
    Bull's Kunte Kinte 11/7/12-