The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Quote Originally Posted by leemac View Post
    Has anyone out there seen a dog that would consistently handle a poison bird in a hunting situation that was trained without being force fetched, or without force to get the dog pasted the poison bird and on the the cripple that would be lost if it was not retrieved first?

British or American or Chinese is of no consequence.
    Yup. I'm British, with 'British' labs, in Brit-land!!! Plenty of us competing at the very highest levels over here, who do not use any type of 'force' programme, and manage to be 'quite successful' .

I've been off the board for a while, doing rather than typing, but am happy to answer any questions if it is helpful on the different methods we use. We still 'correct' dogs if they go wrong, vocally or by putting them back on the spot, but we don't go through any of the FF programmes, heeling sticks, tables/benches etc, etc.... I think our 'programme' is a lot less structured than yours, more organic if you like, but somehow we muddle along in our own 'brit-fashion' and get a half-decent end result...

Do these no force british labs hunt woodcock? Not too many dogs will pick them up without forcing. Would be interesting experiment to see if a woodcock would be delivered to hand.

I liked all the british labs I have met.

Not sure why force is getting a bad wrap. Maybe too much ignorance and misinformation is playing on peoples emotions, especially from influences outside of retriever training. Or maybe some just get sick of the negative stereotype and the defense of the most popular methods. Heck, I even get sick of my neighbors overly concerned questions about my dogs staying outside in dog runs during the day. "OOOHHH Those Poor Dogs, Dont They Get Cold?" LOL

Like politics, the perpetuation of myths becomes an important marketing tool.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

British labs make great pets, companion dogs, floor cleaners, cab labs, etc. I've only seen a couple I'd ever want to hunt with...just my preference in dogs...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I'm really new to this, but I don't recall seeing the British Labs in Brit-land doing some of the water work that we do here? Or am I wrong?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

my brother Clint went to medical school in England, and on the rare times that he had to himself he spent the time watching British field trials and retriever training methods...you are comparing apples to oranges...just like the United States and Great Britain are two nations separated by a common language
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    British labs are born completly trained, I thought everyone knew that.
    Now THAT is funny right there!!

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Oh oh another deviation from the norm. "HAPPY" will not like this.
    Obviously you haven't read Jennifer's thread on positive training.

In British Field Trials the dogs are required to retrieve whatever is shot. That will typically include pheasants, ducks, woodcock, partridge, snipe, grouse, rabbits, hares, the occasional pigeon.

Additionally
    The dog is required to retrieve the particular bird indicated by the judge. That will nearly always be the crippled bird first, and it does not matter whether the dog saw it or not. The dog on the way to the cripple fall area often flushes fresh birds. If he chases them he is out. When he get to the area of the fall and takes up the trail of the cripple he must follow it and ignore freshly flushed birds. Frequently the trail on a strong runner will take the dog out of sight and into heavy cover for long time periods (see link at bottom for photos of typical cover). If he fails to find and fetch that cripple, he is out. Then another dog is tried on the same bird.
    Additionally the dog will be required to sit quietly through a pheasant drive where dozens of pheasants are shot as great numbers are driven over pre-stationed guns. The drive might continue for 20 minutes and several hundred birds be driven over with 40 or 50 shot. After the drive the dogs must continue to sit and honor the other working dogs until their turn comes. See photo on link below. It shows 5 dogs on line for a drive. Two of them are with one handler. This was taken at the IGL Retriever Championship in 1987 at Sandringham.
    Here is a longer look at British Field Trials: http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/

On Training:

British retriever trainers and training culture is far more gentle than the American model. There are some hard trainers in the UK, but they are few in number. Much of the training is based on compulsion, but the application is much softer.

Positive training is a different model in which nearly no compulsion is used.
    Here is a synopsis of Positive training for retriever gundogs: http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/positivegundogs.php
    Last edited by rmilner; 12-05-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

I think Eug posted this video a while back.....pretty interesting, nothing to do with force, American vs British just a very cool video with some excellent dog work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBiL3ixsFY
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)