The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Interesting how that first article talks about watered down non bird tests that focus mostly on the parlor trick aspects of the game vs doing real field work.

/Paul
    I have read those articles. I also was a little surprised at first. However, having goldens in mind, the non bird might be the thing to get people interested in the field aspect of their dog. My own club which is a breed club has about 100 members. Maybe 10 come out to the field, only five of us hunt. It is a shame but a reality.

I recently gave a retrieving demo at our National Hunting and Fishing Expo. People didn't know what breed of dog I had and didn't know goldens could be worked. I hope that the other retriever breeds are in better shape.

Back to the article in question. A dying man will grasp at a burning straw. I would take any involvement from golden owners just to get them interested and keep retrieving in the breed, even those bumper tests as a start.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Default My English Retriever

My English Retriever
    Trained using Lardy's materials and a huge amount of R+++---+++MOMMYDRINKS++ALOT! I can't release the videos on advice of my lawyer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Pals! A JRT that hunts birds! I'm envious.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by gdgnyc View Post
    I have read those articles. I also was a little surprised at first. However, having goldens in mind, the non bird might be the thing to get people interested in the field aspect of their dog. My own club which is a breed club has about 100 members. Maybe 10 come out to the field, only five of us hunt. It is a shame but a reality.

I recently gave a retrieving demo at our National Hunting and Fishing Expo. People didn't know what breed of dog I had and didn't know goldens could be worked. I hope that the other retriever breeds are in better shape.

Back to the article in question. A dying man will grasp at a burning straw. I would take any involvement from golden owners just to get them interested and keep retrieving in the breed, even those bumper tests as a start.
    I fully agree that we need to promote the sport and often this is what it takes to get people interested. However that is completely different topic than training methods to advanced levels..

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

"Advanced Levels" depends upon your perspective of retriever training. As I have no interest in field trials, "advanced levels" to me means higher proficiency at gundog behaviors, and the gundog behaviors are very different from field trial behaviors. USAR dogs and IED detection dogs also employ different behavior sets. Advanced levels also means to me higher proficiency at Urban Search and Rescue behaviors for those functional dogs, or higher proficiency at IED detection behaviors for those functional dogs. Well trained retrievers excel at all the above functions in addition to field trials.
    Robert Milner
    www.DuckhillKennels.com

"When he stood up to speak, battalions of words issued forth from his mouth and scoured the countryside in search of an idea, and when they found one, they swiftly and thoroughly beat it to death." ---- -Anonymous

To quote Danny Farmer - "A trained dog is a trained dog." I train "meat dogs" the same way I train dogs that will go on to HT/FT's. A bird in the freezer means more to me that another orange ribbon sitting a box full of orange ribbons...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    To quote Danny Farmer - "A trained dog is a trained dog." I train "meat dogs" the same way I train dogs that will go on to HT/FT's. A bird in the freezer means more to me that another orange ribbon sitting a box full of orange ribbons...

/Paul
    I disagree. Often times, running the bank will get you your injured teal much faster than the straight line taught for a FT. The steadiness requirement for a FT isn't sufficient for sitting quietly in the duck hole for 45 minutes of no activity. Etc etc.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    I disagree. Often times, running the bank will get you your injured teal much faster than the straight line taught for a FT. The steadiness requirement for a FT isn't sufficient for sitting quietly in the duck hole for 45 minutes of no activity. Etc etc.
    Yeah, but a well placed shot will get you a stone cold dead teal in the decoys.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    Dogs quickly learn what is expected. I can let my dogs run the bank while hunting. Can a non decheated dog cut the corner of a body of water to avoid the broken glass on the bank? I know I can cast my dogs into the water if needed. I can also cast them onto the shore if that is more expedient. Training provides options.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Dogs quickly learn what is expected. I can let my dogs run the bank while hunting. Can a non decheated dog cut the corner of a body of water to avoid the broken glass on the bank? I know I can cast my dogs into the water if needed. I can also cast them onto the shore if that is more expedient. Training provides options.
    15 yard penalty. Use of common sense in British dog thread. Repeat second down.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy