The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Dogs quickly learn what is expected. I can let my dogs run the bank while hunting. Can a non decheated dog cut the corner of a body of water to avoid the broken glass on the bank? I know I can cast my dogs into the water if needed. I can also cast them onto the shore if that is more expedient. Training provides options.
    You read my mind.

If you had not said it I would of. These creatures are amazing. They quickly learn what is expected of them and where as long the trainer/handler is consistent too.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiableLabs View Post
    You read my mind.

If you had not said it I would of. These creatures are amazing. They quickly learn what is expected of them and where as long the trainer/handler is consistent too.
    And all we need do is train them to do it. What's really great is not one of them knows, or is concerned with whether or not they're British. Good training is good training wherever it occurs.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    I disagree. Often times, running the bank will get you your injured teal much faster than the straight line taught for a FT. The steadiness requirement for a FT isn't sufficient for sitting quietly in the duck hole for 45 minutes of no activity. Etc etc.
    It is a well known fact that even dogs who marked the fall, when caving to factors often times get lost and need to handled. Now instead of a nice quiet retrieve in the marsh I got some yahoo standing up blowing whistles the dog won't take, yelling "over", walking out into the pond and disrupting the whole bloody hunt. You can build a case for why letting your dog do all that crap is "better" but i'll never believe it. I have standards of what I want out a nice days hunt and its often disrupted by the yahoo's and their bank running mutt across the pond...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Not quite sure I would go as far as you to say it was the single best video out there. It certainly is good but I would want to see more and how it would work or apply to my attention deficit dog.
    I don't have a medium or a dog that sits by the fireplace. I have a high drive and desire dog who is 1 1/2 yo with no focus. I was impressed though how he talked about getting the dogs attention. I don't like to feed food mongers however which is what my pup is!!
    If you do with hold the reward until he performs the command he may loose focus with that game. Training has to be kept short and varied. He is on his own planet still trying to run the show. But to treat, treat to teach the command and wait until he complies with a food monger??with no focus??.
    He is a very reactive dog and will be paying attention to the food IMHO. And I know he mentions the dog eventually goes from being reactive to an active dog but I think that could be difficult with this pup and problem dogs.
    There are some good things about the video I would apply. Timing of his yes and good response might capture dogs attention. And I assume you don't need to treat with food for his system to work.
    Was not sure I like the idea of when he tells his dog down way out, then lets the dog know he is right, the reward yes and the dog runs in to get the treat? That is not a good application.
    If I whistle sit my dog way out on a blind and he sits promptly and I say yes or good which is what I do b/c it signals to him you were good sitting not to come running in! So I was interested how you would stop that from occurring. I am always thinking how is that going to help me attain my goals with my dog in what ever venue I enter. It has to be applicable and doable, easy and acceptable for my dog.

IMHO some pups need a little more than treats. No offence to Ellis, he did speak about that firmness on the video. Need to see more on that subject, other problematic behaviors and more info on his methods! Very interesting video, however.
    Mary your dog's lack of attention is probably a matter of lacking training at an early age. Sorry to say it but you probably missed the opportunity to get that element built in. Ellis somewhere else tells you that NOTHING happens until you have attention mastered. I think there's actually a free video on the importance of engagement where he goes over this. Some dogs may not begin real "training" until 8 months because they lack the engagement needed, if I recall that video correctly. We are all anxious to get things going, myself included and tend not to have the patience to tackle this element fully.

As for the moving reward it is correct application and done that way on purpose. That is why there is a "good" marker and a "yes" marker. The "yes" marker releases the dog from a stationary position and the reward is delivered in motion to increase it's effectiveness. Chasing the reward is a self fulfilling activity, meaning the chase itself is a reward ON TOP of the food. Delivering rewards in motion increases motivation and builds drive in the dog. That's in the video on delivering rewards properly or the training dogs with food video, I forget which one. It's also very useful later because it's very easy to chain the dog's name or "back" over top of the release marker in field work.

I can only tell you from the one dog I have applied this to long term. It is an absolutely dynamic basis for Carr based retriever training. Once the communication system is in place it is very easy to work through the collar conditioning, force fetch and other elements of the program. The dog is not only engaged and paying attention, but they really understand what "good" and "yes" or "ok" mean, making life really easy. I'm in T work now and pup will look at the side piles once in a while but when she looks down the middle and I say "good" she locks on, ears up and gets ready to launch. That communication would still be in it's infancy had I not done my obedience using these markersand some other stuff I picked out of the Hillman videos.

I have used this system now on several pet dogs and find it extremely effective. I also teach a simplified version to clients and it works for them.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 12-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I did watch his philosophy video though.
    That's the one I referred I'm not sure which one Mary was watching. You have to see several and pay for a couple of them to completely understand the system. Or in your case Pete, make up your own
    Darrin Greene

Just had my 6 mo YLF in to the vet. She is seeing ACL problems with the Brit dogs as the lines in the hind quarters are to straight.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    That's the one I referred I'm not sure which one Mary was watching. You have to see several and pay for a couple of them to completely understand the system. Or in your case Pete, make up your own
    Darrin I watched that one and their was one other on the site. I have to go back and view them a little closer. Thanks again. ML
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have 6 of Micheal Ellis Dvd's. He is very good at explaining the methodology of training with markers both + and -. His DVD on finishing work is one of the best out there. His "Engagement training" is the base of my puppy training.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Just had my 6 mo YLF in to the vet. She is seeing ACL problems with the Brit dogs as the lines in the hind quarters are to straight.
    Yellow Machine,

The British field Labs I've seen tend to have much better rear angulation than do most AKC field Labs. Could be a particular strain of British Lab in your area that your Vet is seeing that lack rear angulation, however that is not my experience.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

UK labradors would not win in US field trials?

US labradors would not win in UK field trial?

How many generations does it take to breed for type/a breed? Six generations, is that right, before they can apply to the Kennel Club?

So UK and US labradors could/would/should be different. Simple really.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.