The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    That is inevitably how everyone ends up feeling about these threads.

Evan
    So lets quit posting so it doesn't keep showing up at the top of the list!

Can someone answer one, simple question?
    What are you going to do? If and when a dog disobeys any command?

So far, all I have seen is...dog won't if properly taught. For me, that is no answer. After 30 some years of seeing differently.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    That is inevitably how everyone ends up feeling about these threads.

Evan
    I for one appreciated your dead horse remark on page one. But you forgot the emoticon:
    Renee P

What did I miss??
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

For Mitty and Evan,

Jennifer, I think you are taking stuff personally that is not directed at you. Those two earlier posts of mine that annoyed you were not directed at you. This topic comes up over and over again, it has for years. I doubt anyone has said anything in this thread that wasn't said in RTF threads like it 5 years ago. I have never disparged you or your training methods, you sound like you know a lot more about dogs than I do. I think you will be successful. But google something like "site:retrievertraining.net clicker " and you will find links to page after page of RTF threads on the topic, hence the dead horse feeling.
    (Edit: I am new at this, I have hardly any opinions on anything about dog training, except that I do not want to hurt my dog!)

Here is a great video on the topic, maybe you remember it, I believe Milner brought it to our attention last year (http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ker-Training):

Last edited by mitty; 12-07-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: url added
    Renee P

I don't believe anyone wants to hurt their dogs and Renee you are more astute then you think.

These threads always go this way, because most folks on here that have trained to upper levels themselves, evolved over the years and continue to play the American Field Games are skeptical when a "newbie" for lack of a better term comes along without ever having trained a dog to those upper levels and says that there is a "new" way, without any proven consistant successes in those Tests/Trials. When in reality most people who really know how to train dogs, know that you train the dog at the end of your leash-there is no cookie cutter approach. A well balanced approach to dog training is just that~~well balanced. The insinuation of some that their dog is "happier" because you don't use a collar or do any force is just asking for a 'fight'. Don't know why we insist on having these American vs British threads.

I always hear people say they are "training for Hunt Tests and Field Trials". When in reality they may have had one dog run a few juniors~~so the "old timers" are skeptical and ask tough questions. Well we used to have the old timers ask tough questions, now-a-days that bluntness if frowned upon, because it might be "mean". It is easy to say you are training for something, the hard (AND HUMBLING) part is doing it, really doing it to where your dog can compete. You find out really quickly to surround yourself with people who are successful in your chosen game.

It seems lately that there is a lot of "last word-itis" and its not even winter yet!!!

IMAG0083.jpg

Puppies are cute. Smile.

Have a good weekend!
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I don't believe anyone wants to hurt their dogs and Renee you are more astute then you think.

These threads always go this way, because most folks on here that have trained to upper levels themselves, evolved over the years and continue to play the American Field Games are skeptical when a "newbie" for lack of a better term comes along without ever having trained a dog to those upper levels and says that there is a "new" way, without any proven consistant successes in those Tests/Trials. When in reality most people who really know how to train dogs, know that you train the dog at the end of your leash-there is no cookie cutter approach. A well balanced approach to dog training is just that~~well balanced. The insinuation of some that their dog is "happier" because you don't use a collar or do any force is just asking for a 'fight'. Don't know why we insist on having these American vs British threads.

I always hear people say they are "training for Hunt Tests and Field Trials". When in reality they may have had one dog run a few juniors~~so the "old timers" are skeptical and ask tough questions. Well we used to have the old timers ask tough questions, now-a-days that bluntness if frowned upon, because it might be "mean". It is easy to say you are training for something, the hard (AND HUMBLING) part is doing it, really doing it to where your dog can compete. You find out really quickly to surround yourself with people who are successful in your chosen game.

It seems lately that there is a lot of "last word-itis" and its not even winter yet!!!
    Exactly. And instead of "training for hunt tests and field trials" it would be better put, "training AND COMPETING in hunt tests and field trials"......

I can train for the Olympics but its unlikely I will get much farther than buying the souvenir T-Shirt.

WRL

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post

I can train for the Olympics but its unlikely I will get much farther than buying the souvenir T-Shirt.

WRL
    When you win or buy that T-shirt can you please Put it on you Avatar, I've been hypnotized into watching it for too long
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)