The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: British Labs / No Force????

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Why don't you just book some lessons with a 'Trainer'?...I imagine websites and videos would get you as much of a 'cocktail' as the thread?..Anyhow! At least you would be working with 'the dog in front of you'?...rather than some-one else's?..Just a thought!

Polmaise,

Good Idea and I am entertaining it. Robert Milner is the only one I can find, but he is 10 hours away, but probably well worth the drive...
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonronamo View Post
    Thats for sure!

I am new to the forum and I posted this thread to get a some opinions, I would have never imagined it would go this long or be this controversial. However, I have read some interesting points on this topic and appreciate everyone's input..

I would like to educate myself on some of these training methods. Whether or not I use them is to be seen. Knowledge has been an ongoing mission in my life and I am always learning from others, I don't see why these training methods should be any different.

Does anyone have references to these training methods? Books ,videos, websites....

I did order a copy of Robert Milners book and visited his website and watched some videos, I must say it's impressive!
    Here are a couple of web sites:
    http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1134

http://www.video.clickertraining.com/library

And here are a couple of books:

Positive Gun Dog Training (you can download this from the net onto your computer)

Reaching the Animal Mind, by Karen Pryor. More general about the training method, but a really good read.

Good luck, Jonronomo! It's always good to keep an open mind and figure out what to take from the different methods to fit your style, goals and your dog.

Jen

How do I use birds and bumpers to teach healing?
    After the bumper is seen as a prey object by the dog,,, the trainer then sticks it under his arm pit to keep the dog looking up and staying position. Pretty common technique and easy to apply
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Here are a couple of web sites:
    http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1134

http://www.video.clickertraining.com/library

And here are a couple of books:

Positive Gun Dog Training (you can download this from the net onto your computer)

Reaching the Animal Mind, by Karen Pryor. More general about the training method, but a really good read.

Good luck, Jonronomo! It's always good to keep an open mind and figure out what to take from the different methods to fit your style, goals and your dog.

Jen

Thanks Jen,

I will check them out and Yes, it's wise to keep an open mind! Thanks again for the resources...
    If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonronamo View Post
    Thanks Jen,

I will check them out and Yes, it's wise to keep an open mind! Thanks again for the resources...
    Did I put the Michael Ellis video in here? Best explanation of why clickers work that I have ever heard.

http://leerburg.com/flix/videodesc.php?id=529

Ellis, to me is good because he's not a +r only zealot. He just understands and does a good job of explaining how it works.
    Darrin Greene

[QUOTE=DarrinGreene;1043277

Ellis, to me is good because he's not a +r only zealot. He just understands and does a good job of explaining how it works.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Haven't seen all of his stuff yet, but what I have seen is very digestible and easy to follow. And it works.
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

Who cares. Her rats are still the smartest. They have titles to prove it.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by cakaiser View Post
    Who cares. Her rats are still the smartest. They have titles to prove it.
    That's cause they are English rats. She got them when she was at Oxford
    And no fellas, that isn't the Oxford where the skimpily clad young Southern ladies hang out.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills View Post
    And no fellas, that isn't the Oxford where the skimpily clad young Southern ladies hang out.
    Forget the one in England, where's this one?
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Mills View Post
    That's cause they are English rats. She got them when she was at Oxford
    I live right by that one... and this is a true assessment!

-Barton Ramsey