RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

FC/AFC Chocolate Labs?????

44K views 93 replies 45 participants last post by  Howard N 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was told there are NO FC/AFC Chocolate lab males currently competing in field trials.
Can anyone tell me if this statment true??
Also would like to know the dogs name.

#2 ·
Here is at least one, National Open Finalist Jackie.....FC-AFC Huntersbest Sapphire Jubilee “Jacki” LF, John Henninger

I'm sure there are more...

#4 ·
How did I forget Roux off the top of my head....I need more coffee!

#11 · (Edited)
In addition to "Roux", here is a relatively new one . . .

AFC Rebel Ridge Cosmic Rise ‘N Fall - "Tide"

Congratulations to Jeff Lyons and Madeline Yelton on their new CHOCOLATE AFC!! AFC Rebel Ridge Cosmic Rise ‘N Fall earned his Amateur Field Champion Title by winning the Open at the Swamp Dog Club in Winslow, NJ, on the weekend of Sept. 28 being handled by Madeline. Tide also has an Amateur Win this fall at the Labrador Retriever Club trial so they are now qualified for the National Amateur Championship in 2013.
Tide is out of a breeding of their dog, REBEL RIDGE JIMMY A CHANCE, and FC RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL. Congratulations to all!
http://www.findretrievers.com/news/wordpress/2012/10/03/new-afc-afc-rebel-ridge-cosmic-rise-n-fall/

#13 · (Edited)
Hey a Devil dog Chocolate AFC, I was convinced ROUX was the only living FC or AFC titled Chocolate male around, good to know there's another. Pretty Hot lines on that one. Out of 2 black parents as well, I'll have to keep an eye on him ;)

#23 ·
Damn ya'll are hard to please. I believe a 'complete' dog database is nonexistent.

So tell me how you would go about finding the sire of this year's high point male and female chocolate derby dog.

#69 ·
Where's the "like" button we all keep asking for, Chris???! :razz:

#25 ·
'Cause God decided the proper color for labs was black. :p :twisted:

#29 ·
I think the vast majority of FT'ers share Henry Ford's philosophy on color selection - you can have any color you want . . . so long as its black. I've talked to several very good breeders and they say its often hard to place chocolates into competitive FT homes as everyone wants black, at which point it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy more or less.

#31 ·
The theory is this; With all the generations of selective breeding It's hard to find an FT caliber Black, It's harder to find a an FT caliber Yellow, it's near impossible to find a FT caliber chocolate. So if your looking for FT caliber your best bet is to go with black, even then you got to get lucky. Still every once in awhile someone wins the Power-ball-Lotto and get an excellent animal, despite or perhaps in-spite of color, those animals get bred, bred to produce FT caliber pups, which means most likely to a black, which gives you more black, goodbye chocolate ;).

#35 ·
I don't totally buy into your theory.... I understand more black dogs will be running in trials do to the percentage of black dogs verus other colors. But by percentage there are not as many male FC choclates as there are FC blacks. In therory the percentage should be a lot closer.
So back to the question BY PERCENTAGE WHY ARE THERE MORE BLACK MALE FC'S THEN CHOCOLATE MALES????????
If someone has data on this or a better theory please share it.

#32 ·
So if a top FC bitch throws a litter of all 3 colors. Do people believe the black pups have a better chance at being a FC than the yellows or chocs from the same litter? I'd have a hard time buying into that!

I can appreciate that the (a) choc is recessive so less number of chocs means less likely to be a FC (b) gene pool for choc is not as strong as some blacks due to breeding programs ...

I like chocolates regardless.

#40 ·
In my 40+ years of field trial awareness there have been a handful of prepotent sires and we know that those dogs will continue to influence the breed long after they are no longer producing through their offspring. To my knowledge only one of that handful of studs produced chocolate offspring.

The most successful chocolate male in the modern era of field trials was NFC Rascal who was the byproduct of a black to black breeding. The sire Ripin Blue Thunder, was know to produce chocolate but the dam, Belle Star's Emmy Lou had not been bred. She had some Scottish bench dogs in her background but I do not recall anyone strongly expecting chocolate so when two chocolate males appeared it was somewhat of a surprise. I know this because I knew both dogs and their owners were personal friends.

There are probably more competitive yellows in the past 15 years than during any time in my tenure. Why, because more of that core sire base produced yellow.

I think that there is much less color prejudice than there was 20-30 years ago. Most serious field trailers want, first and foremost, a nationally competitive dog and the breedings likely to produce that dog rarely, very rarely, have chocolate puppies.

#50 ·
In my 40+ years of field trial awareness there have been a handful of prepotent sires and we know that those dogs will continue to influence the breed long after they are no longer producing through their offspring. To my knowledge only one of that handful of studs produced chocolate offspring.

The most successful chocolate male in the modern era of field trials was NFC Rascal who was the byproduct of a black to black breeding. The sire Ripin Blue Thunder, was know to produce chocolate but the dam, Belle Star's Emmy Lou had not been bred. She had some Scottish bench dogs in her background but I do not recall anyone strongly expecting chocolate so when two chocolate males appeared it was somewhat of a surprise. I know this because I knew both dogs and their owners were personal friends.

There are probably more competitive yellows in the past 15 years than during any time in my tenure. Why, because more of that core sire base produced yellow.

I think that there is much less color prejudice than there was 20-30 years ago. Most serious field trailers want, first and foremost, a nationally competitive dog and the breedings likely to produce that dog rarely, very rarely, have chocolate puppies.

Dr. Ed, The Trumarc line has contributed to at least one titled chocolate dog.

http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=43821

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.